quick tint question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default quick tint question

I just started shopping around for tint for my car. I'm planning on either 15 or 20% on the sides and the hatch. My question is about the t-tops. Do you guys that have tint have the tops tinted as well? My '95 was tinted, and I think the tops were as well, but I'm not positive. I just don't want the tops to be lighter than the rest of the glass.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
4th Gear Member

My tops have 5% on them. The rest of my windows are 35%

Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so are the tops about the same darkness as the rest of the windows?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by evilkal
My tops have 5% on them. The rest of my windows are 35%
Is it hard to see out of the rear window when its dark outside? I do a lot of driving after 1am would it difficult to see out of it?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by luciora
Is it hard to see out of the rear window when its dark outside? I do a lot of driving after 1am would it difficult to see out of it?
It is difficult to see. I do 95% of my driving at night and backing up is always a pain. I used to have 20% tint on all my windows, but I got pulled over and got a nice fat ticket for the windows. I could keep the hatch though. It makes it easier overall for me though because my eyes are extra sensitive to light and everyone's headlights are always in my way. The tint really helps disburse the light.

But my t-tops already look like their black, I don't understand the point of bothering with them...but that's just my opinion. You need to make sure you know what the state law is for window tint, might get a nice fat ticket too.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
It is difficult to see. I do 95% of my driving at night and backing up is always a pain. I used to have 20% tint on all my windows, but I got pulled over and got a nice fat ticket for the windows. I could keep the hatch though. It makes it easier overall for me though because my eyes are extra sensitive to light and everyone's headlights are always in my way. The tint really helps disburse the light.

But my t-tops already look like their black, I don't understand the point of bothering with them...but that's just my opinion. You need to make sure you know what the state law is for window tint, might get a nice fat ticket too.
I did some research on tinting earlier today and I found some bad news In the state of Iowa the darkest you can have is 70% tint. Oh well I'll just do the hatch 20% and ignore the front windows.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Well, Illinois has laws too, I'm still tinting. I am tinting the sides and rear DARK, and I am also going to put a light film on the windshield. It should look fairly cool. lol

My car is really only going to be a fun car for car shows, short drives and stuff so I don't see many issues.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Window tint is kind of a touchy subject. I've passed, pulled up beside, and driven right in front of cops with my tint and I didn't get a second look. Then of course one random night coming home from my bf's (at like 12 am), a cop just happens to notice and shines his spot light on me and pulled me over. PA law is 75% I think, so it's really not much of a tint at all. The rear window doesn't matter, but the side windows is what they'll get you for (in PA at least). Short drives probably wouldn't cause any issue, but my car is a DD, so I'm in it like 10 months out of the year.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got 5% on the rear, 5% ttops, and 35% on the sides. I live in Cali so they have strict tint laws. What i have noticed is that they just pull you over if they can see inside your side windows. 35% is great because it blocks sun alot and keep it cool in the summer. I have never had any problems nor have my other 4 friends with 35% on the side. On the sides be very careful with dark tint because at night its easy to miss curves and mess up your rims. I can see perfectly fine from the inside day or night on the sides. The sun doesnt bug me at all from the hatch or ttops with 5%. The hatch is a pain at night. I cant see at all at night unless there is some light i.e headlights and streetlights. Its something ive gotten used to so it doesnt really bug me anymore. O and when you get your windows tinted ask about the matrix dot and what they will do fix it or put a vinyl over it.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I hate tinted windows. I'd rather be able to see properly. And I've never felt the need to hide from the people around me when I am driving.

Quick Reply: quick tint question