Put up the camaro for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Put up the camaro for the winter?

Im kinda in a stuck place here guys, do you think i should put the camaro away for the winter? i do face snow and salt where i live, however im sure there are consequences when putting these cars to sit in one spot for a long period. (tires, dont know what else) if i do this what precautions or preventative measures should i take? what would i need to replace when ready to bring it back? would this be healthy for the life of the car(engine/tranny)? i have a car i can beat around with in the winter btw, but the camaro is the main focus..

thanks in advance!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

how dare you threaten to park your camaro!!!
ha i honestly dont know i dont experience snow so camaro stays out year round!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

i know, i feel bad too, but nothing i can do to change the weather

Old 11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have a beater you can drive, just fill the tank up and put some stabilizer in it, then let her sleep. You can also get a battery tender to keep the battery from taking a crap on you. It's not a long term storage, don't worry about the tires and such, it'll be fine. If you were putting it up for a few years though, then that requires a bit more work. Mine is sleeping under a cover until spring, not a winter car by any means.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Where do you live and how harsh are the winters?
I'd definitely store her as camaro's tend to get stuck alot and spin out on black ice. Lol I used to live in Fairbanks Alaska and remember this black firebird trying to pull a U-turn while I was parked at the light - this guy was barely giving it any gas and you could see his poor firechicken desperately trying to grab ahold of the road with it's back wheels but it musta took him a good 12 seconds or so just to turn around on the ice(they don't salt up there just gravel so you drive on sheets of ice about 1/2 the year). If you must take her out make sure you throw a shovel in the hatch lol you'll need it eventually. They are pretty fun to take out to a vacant ice patch though and spin out for a while

If you store her you should probly disconnect the battery, I'm not sure what else but my camaro's battery has died 2X in the past two winters because I didn't disconnect it when I put cammy up for the winter..!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mines parked up now but thats cause im in Spain and my dad is keeping the 'maro running. Every week starts it up and drives it round the block. And yer even though i have an optima battery my dad says it keeps getting flat so take it off

I usually drive my car in winter anyway, in UK is pretty much raining all the time and snows a bit in winter, and the roads get salted But im undersealing all car when i get back so it will all be ok. I dont have a car to beat on though as the camaro is main car! If you store it for the winter it will be fine, but if you get a 'nice' day inbetween id put the battery back on and have a quick drive around the block

Old 11-28-2009, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

im faced with the same problem, except i dont happen to have a beater car to use so im forced into braving chicago snows with the maro :/, ive gotta save up for snow tires and have an old school army shovel in the trunk. now that i think about it mine is tuned, and i do have the hypertech programmer on hand, is there a way to reprogram the ecu for tranny shift points and all that to lesser performance that would help during the winter and then reprogram it for better performance in the spring/other seasons? would that be a smart thing to do or no?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

i dunno, i dont have a tune on mine (yet). I just took it really steady. I had to get bus to Uni a couple of days when the snow was a good few inches but then the roads are salted here so it goes after a day or so. I was just pretty bad where i park at uni, took me like 10 minutes to turn around, basically just let the car drive itself out no throttle at all cause it just spins up. I had stupid low profile sports tires on though

Id see how it goes, just be steady and no sudden braking or throttle

Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

well, i live in NYC. but thats where im stuck, do i put some stabilizer in the tank and leave it? or do i start it up often during the winter? if the car sits on concrete for 4 months that wont do anything on the tires? cause if i park it up i wont be able to take it out the garage.

thanks for all the advice guys!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by auto
i know, i feel bad too, but nothing i can do to change the weather

haha of course you can... you can run far far away from the snow :P
but ya definately gunna wanna run it once a week even if it just sits and idles its always good to let it run for a bit

Quick Reply: Put up the camaro for the winter?