problem on the front right wheel of my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default problem on the front right wheel of my car

ok, i went to my local firestone today, and they told me that my front right wheel bearing has play in it, and they wanted to charge me around $220 to fix it. now, i trust them, but i'm a little wary for a different reason. back in june, i was in an accident with the car. i hit a curb going about 50 mph (i know, i'm an idiot). several parts were replaced in that area, as well as the cross member. i got the car back in early august (yes, the idiot took a month and a half to fix it). i really don't trust the guy that fixed the car, and i'm wondering if this might be something that was caused by the accident, and was overseen, or if it might have been caused by either his negligence, or mistake. obviously, i don't want to blame someone who is not at fault, but at the same time, this is a costly repair that really shouldn't be a problem right now. i've only put maybe 1000 miles on it since i got it back, and i don't think that's an appropriate amount of time for a piece to wear out. if anyone has any thoughts on this, or can offer an explanation of this problem, i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Is there a rumbling noise from the car at high speed or when you make certain turns? It's a $50 part that can be swapped in under 30 minutes. There are only 5 bolts that need to be removed and 1 loosened. How much does he want?

My front driver side wheel bearing would rumble on right turns above 40 mph before I replaced it.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Is there a rumbling noise from the car at high speed or when you make certain turns? It's a $50 part that can be swapped in under 30 minutes. There are only 5 bolts that need to be removed and 1 loosened. How much does he want?

My front driver side wheel bearing would rumble on right turns above 40 mph before I replaced it.
at high speeds, it feels like it's wobbling. and sometimes when i turn i hear a very loud pop. firestone wanted over $220 to fix it. i'm also wondering if this is something that wears out often, or if it may have been caused by the accident or the shop's stupidity.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 PM

it is something that does wear out over time. the accident could have caused damage to the bearing. especially a hit that hard

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by vwmercer98
it is something that does wear out over time. the accident could have caused damage to the bearing. especially a hit that hard
I understand that parts wear out over time, but I'm concerned because it is a trouble spot on my car, and not one of the other ones.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

go to autozone and get a timken wheel bearing there very easy to replace

Timken/Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front (513090) | 1994 Chevrolet Camaro 8 Cylinders P 5.7L SFI OHV | AutoZone.com

heres a video on replacing it now this is a 4wd dodge truck so your not going to have the axle but its pretty much the same thing start watching at 5:30

How To Install Replace Front Wheel Hub Bearing Dodge Dakota Durango 97-03 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 AM
2nd Gear member

You'll have to remove the rotor first. Use a hex bit to remove one of the caliper mounting bolts from the back and loosen the other to slide the caliper out of the way. Then the rotor comes off and the hub is right there. There are 4 bolts that hold the hub in place. You'll need to pry it off with a flat-head screwdriver and a mallet.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When a wheel takes a hard side hit like in your wreck it can and will "brinell" the bearing race. Since the ***** in the bearing are harder then the bearing race when there is a hard impact the ball sink in the the race leaving little dents. Those dents cause rapid wear or failure.

In the bearing world brinelling is easy to spot as long as you check the bearing befor it gets hvy wear but after a months worth of driving there is simply no way to prove that the brinelling cause rapid wear or if the bearing just wore out. If accident was not your fault and your dealing with someone else's insurance you could call up and ***** and they might do something about it. If the accident is on you and its your insurance company I would not stir the pot.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
When a wheel takes a hard side hit like in your wreck it can and will "brinell" the bearing race. Since the ***** in the bearing are harder then the bearing race when there is a hard impact the ball sink in the the race leaving little dents. Those dents cause rapid wear or failure.

In the bearing world brinelling is easy to spot as long as you check the bearing befor it gets hvy wear but after a months worth of driving there is simply no way to prove that the brinelling cause rapid wear or if the bearing just wore out. If accident was not your fault and your dealing with someone else's insurance you could call up and ***** and they might do something about it. If the accident is on you and its your insurance company I would not stir the pot.
So, if I understand correctly, it is possible the damage was caused by the accident, but I wouldn't have noticed it until now? Unfortunately, the accident is on me. there was something in the road and the guy behind me was riding my *** so I had to swerve but went too far. My issue is that i want to know if it's something that should have been identified when I brought the car in originally. If it was, then my insurance would have paid for it. at this point, it's after the fact and they wouldn't cover it. The other issue I'm having is a loud pop when I turn the wheel all the way in either direction. any ideas on that?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Can you feel the pop in the steering wheel or just hear it?

Quick Reply: problem on the front right wheel of my car