Power windows, Convertable top and radio only work when they want to.... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Default Power windows, Convertable top and radio only work when they want to.... Help!

98 Camaro, Convertable, 3.8 engine, AT

For some reason, my power windows , convertable top and radio work randomly, but not all the time.

Whenever my power windows work, my convertable top also works. When my power windows don't work, my convertable top also doesn't work.

My radio still works whenmy power windows and convertable top are not working, but when i try to use the power windows, the radio instantly turns off every time. The radio doesn't always turn on when i start the car. When i get it to work when i start the car, it randomly turns off while im driving, then comes back on maybe 5 minutes later while im still driving.

I honestly don't know what's goin on with this car.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Power windows, Convertable top and radio only work when they want to.... Help!

The top and windows don't ever work by themselves without you telling them too right? You mean they just randomly do or do not work when you want them too. Do both windows stop working together? Does the passenger window go down if you use the passenger side switch? The radio could have a bad ground or something causing it not to work but the top and windows seem like you have a switch problem. try popping the switch set out of your door, it is really simple only two "pins" holding it in, just use a real wide flat screwdriver and pop it off. Be sure not to lose the things holding it in though otherwise it will pop out all the time. Once you get it off check the wires and try jiggling them while you test all of the switches. If that doesnt do anything or the passenger window doesn't work with it's own switch in that door, your problem is more from the source.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: Power windows, Convertable top and radio only work when they want to.... Help!

Yea, i meant when i try to use them they work randomly, not that they work by themselves.

Actually i have tried replacing the switches, and this did not work.

Also, when the power windows and convertable top don't work, i have tried both driver's side and passeger's side switches, and none of them work. The convertable top switch of course does not make the top go down also.

The 2 windows and convertable top work at the same time, and they don't work at the same time. They seem to work only as a group.

The radio seems to be on it's own, but seems to work randomly just like the windows and convertable top does. It's really aggrivating.

One interesting thing that happens is, if the windows and top work, they work all the way until i shut down the car. Once i try to turn on the car again, it's another gamble for it to work.