Power Window Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Power Window Motor?

I just bought a 98 camaro ss and the passenger side power window is not working. If I push the switch to roll it up, i can pull on the glass to finish getting the widow all the way up. I think the motor is about dead. My question is: How hard is it to replace the motor/regulator? Part costs $118 from autozone (motor & regulator together) and a local shop wants $150 to put it in. Shop says i shouldn't do it because some GM cars rivot them in the door so they are a pain to replace. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Triangle12
I just bought a 98 camaro ss and the passenger side power window is not working. If I push the switch to roll it up, i can pull on the glass to finish getting the widow all the way up. I think the motor is about dead. My question is: How hard is it to replace the motor/regulator? Part costs $118 from autozone (motor & regulator together) and a local shop wants $150 to put it in. Shop says i shouldn't do it because some GM cars rivot them in the door so they are a pain to replace. Does anyone know if this is true?
It's super easy to change them out. My dad and I did it in less than two hours for both doors. You can find complete write up with pics online. Also I got my motors for $80 from my local gm parts dealer. So look around and you may be able to find them cheaper.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default window motor

Thanks, I'll see if i can find some instructions online. the 2002 you change the widow motor on should be the same as my 98? do you remember if i have to deal with rivots, or does it bolt on?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Triangle12
Thanks, I'll see if i can find some instructions online. the 2002 you change the widow motor on should be the same as my 98? do you remember if i have to deal with rivots, or does it bolt on?
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
That's the guide I used and yes they're riveted in. In the guide it says which rivets to pop. Which is simple with a drill and a small drill bit. The motors I bought from my local gm parts dealer came with bolts that go where the rivets were.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear member

The secret to drilling out those giant peel rivets is this: get a self-impacting (automatic) center punch from Sears

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

and use it to repeatedly zap the steel center pin of the rivet until it falls into the door. Then you can drill the soft aluminum rivet shell out very easily. With the steel center pin in place -- not so easy.

I have replaced a lot of window regulators and dreaded it until I learned of this neat trick.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Wow, 69, that autotrix video shows *exactly* what my 94's passenger side window does! I need to get that kit.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wish I had known about it back when I had my other Camaro. It sucked getting suddenly caught in the rain with your window down, and no easy way to get it all the way back up while driving. Mine needed to have the door open for the window to go up all the way on its own.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
The secret to drilling out those giant peel rivets is this: get a self-impacting (automatic) center punch from Sears

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

and use it to repeatedly zap the steel center pin of the rivet until it falls into the door. Then you can drill the soft aluminum rivet shell out very easily. With the steel center pin in place -- not so easy.

I have replaced a lot of window regulators and dreaded it until I learned of this neat trick.
I've always just used a steel bit larger in diameter than the steel pin in the center of the rivet.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default power window

Thanks for all the help everyone! Looks like I'll attempt to fix it the next nice day we have.

Quick Reply: Power Window Motor?