Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Power antenna

A power antenna is my next project for my '98. I've seen greencamaro.com so I know it won't be hard. I have the Firebird and Camaro part numbers for GM's power antenna but wow, the price.

I've seen third party power antennas in the $45 dollar range.

NEW UNIVERSAL AM/FM RADIO AUTO POWER ANTENNA MAST ASSEMBLY CONVERSION UNIT KIT | eBay

What kind of experiences has anyone had with third party power antennas?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

My only concern is the spare tire. Would this fit with the spare in place? (providing you have a spare) I have been contemplating one of these myself because I hate a full size antenna, and the stubby one I have now gets cr@ppy reception, when I want to listen to the radio.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

jkeston - I do have a spare tire. I was considering a stubby also but with your comments I won't go there.

craby - I have been to GM Direct but the part number you list isn't for a power antenna. The part number for the power antenna is 10402859.

I'm going to see if I can find a donor Firebird and a salvage yard this weekend. I've looked on line and I've found some, but there the wrong years. If I can't find a parts donor, I think I will order the one off of e-bay.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You get what you pay for with these and I've had about 3 or 4 of them. Plus 2 of the GM models. I have since moved to a hidden antenna and plan to fill in the antenna hole. It's not worth the trouble dude. If you can get the factory brace then it's easy to mount either GM or aftermarket one and it doesn't interfer with the spare tire either way you go. But then you have to run power and remote wires also. Power you can take off the trunk light, remote from your stereo.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

A hidden antenna, that's an interesting idea. I'm going to talk to my friend who does body work before I make a decision on this though. I would hate to go from bad to worse.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

heres one thats a little more compact and a dollar cheaper

Universal Window-mount Antenna AM/FM replacement antenna at Crutchfield.com

i bought one for the prelude to replace the broken power antenna (power antennas are crap a cool aesthetic idea but mechanically crap)

Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Default Power Antena

I have a 2002 SS which has a Power antenna and there is still plenty of room for the spare. Yes, the down fall would be having to run the remote wire to the stereo, as mentioned and the ground/power can be taken from the Monsoon Amp. Works pretty good if you put a cover on your car or if you run it through a car wash you just turn off the radio so it can retract back in. Ill see if I can get some pictures of it.
Oh, I got the Power antenna from the dealer and it cost about $150.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The power antenna doesn't interfer with the spare at all. The bracket that holds the antenna bolts to the braket that the spare bolts down too. The whole power antenna/bracket assembly tuck in behind the spare so it's no issue at all.

Quick Reply: Power antenna