Possible BCM problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Possible BCM problem?

Hey guys. For awhile my battery would lose charge over night. I finally took it to a shop and they had checked it out to see what was causing the draw. It was one of my interior lights and they pulled the fuse for it and the draw went away. So now I have no interior lights, and my power locks do not work because of the pulled fuse. Also I have noticed that sometimes after I shut my car off its like it stays in accessory mode. My windows will roll down, radio stays on unless I pull the faceplate, I can run my wipers and ac and the worst one is that my alarm wont arm if its in this mode. Unless I have something running in this mode like if I left the faceplate in, or left the wipers running, It doesnt seem to affect my battery. This also seems to happen at random. I seen the thread about the bcm problem and it sounded like mine. The shop said it could be the bcm but quoted me at 150 to fix it. If the fix is as easy as the thread made it look, there is no way im paying 150 for that. I just wanted to confirm the problem. Does this sound like a bcm problem? Would reflowing the 5 joints like the thread I seen stop the draw and fix it? I hate not having power locks :P

Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be a bad switch in the console or glove box and the light would not go off when closed. the lights and accessories stay on for a few minutes after you turn the key off, should go off when you open the door. bcm may control this. the newer camaro's may be like my truck where the interior light stays on for one minute after the door is closed.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I had that, my dome light would dim out after like 10 seconds, but everything else stayed on. There is no time period on my windows and such, they would just stay powered. I have a feeling that when these things stay powered, My car thinks its still in accessory mode, and thats why my alarm wont arm. Currently I dont have a problem, but thats only because I have the fuse for that light out. This also affects my power locks, which sucks and not having any interior lights other than my dash, which while not as important is still something I would like to fix.

Last edited by FosterW; 09-30-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

acc and interior lights should be separate. acc stay on for about 5 minutes on mine.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Not for mine, Mine will run forever. If I shut of my car and its in this mode, I could let the car sit for hours, come back to it, roll down my windows and turn the ac on. However it doesnt do this always. Sometimes I shut my car off, everything stays off like it should. Sometimes I shut it off, and everything stays on.

Last edited by FosterW; 09-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear member

It is possible that you also have a faulty ignition switch. It could possibly be going into ACC mode when you pull the key and that would allow power to just about everything inside the car to remain on until the battery is dead.

The next time you notice that everything stays on after you pull the ignition key and open the door, try wiggling the ignition without the key and see if everything shuts off.

If that doesn't affect your problem, then I would think that the BCM would have some problem that needs to be looked into.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
It is possible that you also have a faulty ignition switch. It could possibly be going into ACC mode when you pull the key and that would allow power to just about everything inside the car to remain on until the battery is dead.

The next time you notice that everything stays on after you pull the ignition key and open the door, try wiggling the ignition without the key and see if everything shuts off.

If that doesn't affect your problem, then I would think that the BCM would have some problem that needs to be looked into.
Thanks Ill definitely try this.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

So I tried the ignition trick and it didnt do anything. Just a bit ago I ran to work to pick up my schedule and when I started my car, I shut it off and everything stayed on. So I drove to work and when I got there and shut off my car and everything stayed off, as it did when I shut it off when I got home too. Im kinda confused because it seems to happen at random.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

In that case, I would start leaning to a BCM problem. Although, I am not totally certain what all goes through the BCM. I do believe that many of the items you mentioned (radio, wipers, vents) are done by the BCM.

Maybe Craby or Gorn have a list of everything that the BCM controls.