Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Plugs and Wires

Hey guys just trying to get some input on what would be a good set of spark plugs and wires for my camaro. I appreciate any and all help.

By the way, I have a 3.8 liter.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ngk iridium. msd 8.5 wires.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I used AC delco iridium and MSD 8.5mm wires in my 3800. They work really good and should last 100,000+ miles.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

how much do you wish to spend?

allow me to put on my flame suit

what do you get with iridiums other than the benefit of spending more? You won't have to replace them as soon. So, after 40k miles you won't be under the hood swapping out 6 plugs but maybe you will if they get fouled...........

with respect to the wiring, sure you can pay more and get MSD wires. What BENEFIT will you get? You can tell everyone that you have MSD plug wires.

You have a sixer. it's not a high performance engine. How long will you hoenstly have the car? How many miles before it starts to leak or smoke that you'll be under the hood anyway? It's a cost benefit thing. There is no benefit to you for the MSD wires. The plugs, it comes down to miles and frankly, will you still have the car in 40k miles?

My teenage daughter just absolutely had to have a genuine Coach bag and genuine Juicy bag. She bought them herself for $250 each. As for me, I'd rather have a brand x bag for $30 with $220 inside of it. As long as it performs well then I don't need to say that i have a name brand of plug wires, or handbag

Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good

what do you get with iridiums other than the benefit of spending more? You won't have to replace them as soon. So, after 40k miles you won't be under the hood swapping out 6 plugs but maybe you will if they get fouled...........

with respect to the wiring, sure you can pay more and get MSD wires. What BENEFIT will you get? You can tell everyone that you have MSD plug wires.

You have a sixer. it's not a high performance engine. How long will you hoenstly have the car? How many miles before it starts to leak or smoke that you'll be under the hood anyway? It's a cost benefit thing. There is no benefit to you for the MSD wires. The plugs, it comes down to miles and frankly, will you still have the car in 40k miles?

Well these are the reasons why I asked my question. Yes I plan on having my car 40k+ miles. This is my first car and I love my camaro. Will never get rid of it.

I do agree with you when you say bag x with 2 hundo in it. I just know my car needs a new tune up and I was just curious what people had or thought about plugs and wires.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

well put, torque

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Torque put it well. Let me just add this since I get asked this at work 50+ times a day. There's three basic spark plugs:

Copper plugs: Powerful spark, short life, cheap and pretty much outdated
Platinum plugs: Great spark, average life, inexpensive <-- most cars come with this from the factory
Iriduim plugs: Good spark, long life, expensive

99% of the people end up buying Platinum.

For your car, AC Delco Platinums will do just fine for a spark plug as well as the wires.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

tks coco. gonna get me some NGK TR55 Plats...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

after you change the plugs you will re think how much, more time between plug changes is worth.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member

word crab.
climb under last night with spray bottle to look for shorts and rear passenger plug arcs down the side of the plug.
when i pull the starter to change the O2 I will change that plug also; hope it aint the wire!

Quick Reply: Plugs and Wires