Please HELP!!! wierd starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Default Please HELP!!! wierd starting problem

Ok before you tell me to search i did for plenty of time and coukdnt find any similar problems.
Ok i just purchased the car 2 days ago. Its a 99 camaro z28 auto tranny. My problem is everyonce and a while the car wont start, it cranks and cranks fast and strong but it just wont start. My vats dash light s not on or flashing when this is happening. I checked all fuses and they are good checked all cables and they are tight, the guy at the dealer seems to think its something with the key fob, he would lock / unlock the car with the remote a bunch of times and then it would fire over. I think its something else cause sometime when cranking and cranking i will just let it sit for like 2 minutes and then it will start. I thought maybe a fuse but if a fuse is bad i think it wouldnt be intermitant like this,
Has anyone had this problem or heard of anything like this, the car is stock in every way, once its running it doesnt hesitate or sputter it runs beautifully, just that damn 1 out of every 10 starts that wont fire, i also dont have any check engine light on. Please give me your ideas or opinions or experience with this thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Also the car has never died on me while it was running. The 75 percent of the time when it starts good it fires like on the first crank, it starts within 1 second of turning the key, so it either starts perfect and really fast or it will just crank over and not start at all

Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Tech Droid

You need to find out if either the spark or fuel are missing when it won't start, then take it from there.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 AM

Its kinda hard the problem doesnt stay around long enough to change something and try it.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to know if its getting spark when it wont start. pull a spark plug wire off and stick a screw driver in there and hold it close to a ground, have someone turn it over and see if its sparking. hopefully you have someone in the car to turn the key for ya. could be in the columm or the ignition switch. do you have a aftermarket alarm.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Well i think the alarm is original, when i lock the doors i get 2 small honks, also theres a red led light in the middle of my dash, did it again about an hour ago, tried to crank it 4 times for a few seconds each no start, let it sit about 5 min then it fired on the first crank, i do notice when the car is cold and i start it the volt gauge reads high its at the mark between 13 and 18 so im guessing 15.5 but after i drive around and its at normal operating temp the volt gauge is just a hair above the 13. Also if im in park and i rev it the volt gauge drops to about 12 and then goes back to 13 and the lights will dim then get bright again.????
Been reading and am kinda leaning toward a crank sensor or cam sensor, but it runs immaculate its only when trying to start it. Very wierd,
Crabby thanks for the input, if it happens again ill try the screw driver test

Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Sorry it drops to almost 13

Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get the wire brush out and take the battery cables off and clean the battery terminals and cable ends. take the wires lose in the power junction box (small red plastic box on the passenger side wheel well) and clean them too. your have a few grounds that you could check, one on the side of the block to the front of the starter, one below the coil at the front of the motor, should be a ground strap there too going from the frame to the block or head, your main ground is under the motor mount on the passenger side, should be another ground under the tensioner. the ground by the starter is ignition if i remember right.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Will try that also thanks, i know the battery is brand new and all i did was tighten the cables but ill try and brush them all

Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by streetsteve
...i do notice when the car is cold and i start it the volt gauge reads high its at the mark between 13 and 18 so im guessing 15.5 but after i drive around and its at normal operating temp the volt gauge is just a hair above the 13.
This is all normal. The voltage output reads higher right after a start because the alternator is working harder to replenish the juice the starter sucked out of the battery. Normally, the alternator puts out in the 14 volt range, and due to wire resistance power loss, a voltage reading in the 13 range at the battery and gauge is typical.

Quick Reply: Please HELP!!! wierd starting problem