Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Cool Please Help

Quick Version:

I bought a '96 RS 5-speed and while driving home the clutch stopped working. I checked the fluid levels and it was bone dry. I re-filled the master cylinder, bled the system (into a cup as to not make a mess in the parking lot I rolled into) and the transmission is still not disengaging (or engaging depending on how you want to call it). I believe that the problem is internal becuase when I push the clutch to the floor it comes back up when I release pressure indicating the the cylinders are fuctioning, however, while the car is running (and the clutch pushed to the floor) it is hard to get into first gear, it goes without grinding, but dies immediately as though letting out the clutch without giving it any gas. If you have any ideas as to what can be wrong please let me know. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Jedediah-

P.S. Google led me here, signed up tonight, first post EVER. YAAAY

Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Droid

Being that the reservoir was empty, the system may have air in it and needs to be bled. Otherwise there may be an actual fluid leak, have you looked under the car? Could also be the master or slave cylinder went bad, but being that the reservoir was dry, is is an indication that fluid is leaking somewhere.

Last edited by z28pete; 10-26-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A bone dry reservoir would mean one of two things; either a previous owner bled the system but didn't top it off, or you have a leak. The fact that you filled and bled it, makes me lean more towards a leak. Did you re-check the level?