Please, anyone? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Default Please, anyone? Help.

I've posted a thread on here before saying that my friends 97 3.8 Camaro was missing Reverse... And I also said that I tought it was the linkage. Well I finally got to look at it today and I pulled the linkage off looked at the little shift thing on the transmission and saw if the linkage and that lined up for every gear and it did... Now I'm trying to figure out why is he still missing reverse? He goes into park and it kinda jolts forward a little, He goes into reverse and it's like "N" he goes into "N" and it's like Drive and so on and so forth but it's not the linkage; the linkage is perfectly lined up.

What else could it be? (( I know with my old Camaro my wiring harness ending getting melted because GM put it next to the Manafold and I looked at his and it's kinda melted but not bad at all. )) So I was wondering if anyone could give me ANY ideas on what could be wrong with his car, any kind of tips or tricks for me to try out or anything. It really has me stumped and he needs help lol.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like the trans is on its last leg id take it to a tranny shop and have it professionally checked out

Old 10-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
sounds like the trans is on its last leg id take it to a tranny shop and have it professionally checked out
Yep... Thats what I told him too. Lol he wasn't to happy with that outcome.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

are you avid with a wrench changing out the trans is actually a pretty easy job i did the clutch on my 3.4 in about 8 hrs and 3 of those were wrestling the trans off the motor but just today i changed the clutch on an 03 ranger in 3 hrs a little easier than the camaro but not much the worst part of getting the trans off the camaro is the top bolt theres almost no room up there

Old 10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you adjust the cable linkage as in the instructions.
http://shbox.com/trans/A4_trans_linkage.html

Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by craby
did you adjust the cable linkage as in the instructions.
http://shbox.com/trans/A4_trans_linkage.html
I disconnected the linkage and put both in "N" And they both lined up perfectly.