Picked up a "new" '94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007 | 08:09 AM
|
Default RE: Picked up a "new" '94 Z28

Thanks for all the replys guys. Sorry for the delay in getting back.

The bumper covers have never been the strong suit of these cars. Just the way it is I guess. Got an estimate from a shop last evening to repaint the front and back bumper covers - and the hood (several little rock chips. High speed stones no doubt - by the PO).

Thanks for the correction on the Hypertech "chip", 95slvrZ28. Fact is, computer cars are pretty new to me. I'm more of a conventional (old school - read that carbs ) engine guy, up until now. That's changing - and right before your eyes.

So, if the PCM has only been reprogrammed, then I should be able to have the program further refined? I was wondering about what it took to to reprogram. One guy had told me that I needed a laptop PC. I have access to one, but no program. But there's other ways too, right? A power programmer, isn't it called?

Anyway. Thanks for helping me out.

Old 11-20-2007 | 08:10 AM
|

Oh, yeah. No pics yet. Soon, though.

Old 11-20-2007 | 02:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes, you're correct in saying that it can be further refined, although unless you need to change your speedo because you put different gears in the rear end or different sized tires I wouldn't waste your money on Hypertech's Power Programmer(what's already been done to it), it's a $300 paperweight. Corvette Magazine got a whopping 3 rwhp and 4 rwtq on a 96 LT1 from one[>:]. Until you get some internal mods on the car you shouldn't need to worry about getting it reprogrammed, and then you'll want to get at least a PCMforless tune(you mail in your PCM unit, they mail you out one with a revised program for your mods), or better yet a full dyno tune specific to your car.

Old 11-20-2007 | 02:54 PM
|

Thanks! Sounds about right. The car has RPO GU2 2.73 gears in it, so it has plenty of top-end. But it needs more help off of the line. 3.73s might be what I really want, but I'll take 3.23s to get a little better gas mileage.

Is there anything that I need to be looking at right away? Things that might need attention? I'm trying to be proactive here. This car was more or less a garage queen for most of its life. That's pretty much over. But I try to keep all of my vehicles up to snuff.

I went ahead and bought new tires for the stock RPO N96 rims. I'll probably put on a nice set of aftermarket rims and tires later and keep these for off-season driving - what little I'll do with it. I've spied a set of American Racing Torq Thrust M rims. Probably just 17s, but maybe 18s. I'm not locked in yet. Still looking.

As far as mods go, I might do some upgrades in the future. Right now, I just want a reliable car.

Old 11-20-2007 | 02:58 PM
|

ORIGINAL: The Corvette Doctor

Congratulations and enjoy your car. Of course, you need to put up some pictures. I just got mine today, and I'll put up some in another thread so as to not hijack yours.

Power windows. Mine are slow also, and not pulling all the way up on the driver's side. I'm wondering if it is the grease/lube or rollers in the mechanism as they should work regardless of the weight of the window. They did new, so the possible reasons should be sticky mechanism or worn-out motor.

Here is the link to fix the motors.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Thanks Doc. I found shoebox's site already (along with a bunch of others). He really has a LOT of info there.

I think I'll try my hand at taking the door panel off and lubing everything up. I once worked at a glass company putting in side glass and windshields many moons ago. I think I can handle the job. Even if it's the motor. A replacement motor isn't too expensive.

Old 11-20-2007 | 03:01 PM
Overdrive Member

How many miles are on the car? If you're trying to be proactive you can always change the plugs(enjoy that, some of them are very fun to reach[:@]) and change the fuel filter. If it's running alright all you really need to do is keep up on general maintence and you should be good to go!

Old 11-20-2007 | 03:31 PM
|

Just past 100,000 miles.

LOL Yeah, I got a good look at all of the stuff covering up the plugs over this past weekend. I bought new factory AC-Delco plugs. It'll be a couple of weeks before I'll have a chance to do anything with 'em, though. I'm going to have to modify my ramps so that the front bumper clears them bfore I can get it up in the air enough to do much. I successfully changed the oil already - without raising it up, thank you (I'm blessed with long arms and a tenacious streak ).

Fuel filter is supposed to be new, but I have it on my list.

I'm contemplating changing the rear diff oil. 75W90 isn't it? I'll add the GM additive too. OR should I go ahead and chang over to synthetic?