Paint quotes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Paint quotes

So I'm getting a new spoiler and hood for Sof (spoiler first), both are fiberglass and will require prep work. I'm going to go with a shop instead of trying it myself because she'll eventually get repainted entirely and will hopefully require less work to redo the spoiler and hood when the whole thing gets done. I've only checked into one place so far (I don't really know who to trust around here to do a good job) and I was quoted around $515 for both to get painted, but those are for stock parts. Aftermarket I'm sure will be a little more. I've only seen the work they've done on their website as of now. The spoiler separately is around $175 to paint. Does that seem too high of a price? I'm not really sure what to compare it to if anyone has any suggestions of what they have paid for painting. I know it depends on the area, I'm just looking for a price range to get an idea.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

When a guy at school hit my gtp the totaly cost for the repair was $820.14 It included a new fender then he repainted the hole front bumper and the new fender of course, and blended the new fender into the door.With aftermarket parts theres proably gona be a need for some extra prep work so be prepaird for that sounds like a good price thow. I would have to see some of the shops work before I would even let the m touch my baby, hope this helps you.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Make sure when you get the next quote you get what they plan on doing. Is $515 to high? for cleaning, priming and shooting with a coat of enamel paint I would say its high. But if they are cleaning, priming , base coat, clear coat. Its about right. If they are cleaning priming, block sanding, priming, base coat, clear coat, then color sanding and buffing it is real cheap.

Unless you take it to be painted at the same shop your not going to save much money come full paint job. As a general rule most body shops will trust a factory paint job but they would never trust a aftermarket part that was painted by another shop. They are going to want to strip them back to gel coat since they can not be 100% sure of what paint was used they can not be sure of how it will react to their prep job.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

From what the guy told me it was cleaning, fixing any issues as far as straightening or any small cracks, priming, base and clear. It also included the undercoating for the hood. I want a decent job done on it, but also not something cheap, and not something going all out since the car will get completely stripped and repainted anyway. When that happens, I'm expecting to spend quite a pretty penny on a high quality paint job. But until then, I just wanted the spoiler and hood to somewhat look like they belong. I don't expect it to be perfect since the paint that's on the car now was more than likely a Maaco job because of how crappy it is.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

DR do you think it might be a better decision to maybe just wait until you are ready to repaint sofie entirely? That way the work is not having to be repeated. I mean at the end day it is your decision but i was just thinking it might be better to get it all painted at once instead of in pieces so that way it matches.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not looking for opinions, I'm looking for estimates.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Just trying to help.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
From what the guy told me it was cleaning, fixing any issues as far as straightening or any small cracks, priming, base and clear. It also included the undercoating for the hood. I want a decent job done on it, but also not something cheap, and not something going all out since the car will get completely stripped and repainted anyway. When that happens, I'm expecting to spend quite a pretty penny on a high quality paint job. But until then, I just wanted the spoiler and hood to somewhat look like they belong. I don't expect it to be perfect since the paint that's on the car now was more than likely a Maaco job because of how crappy it is.
Your not going to beat that quote by much if he is blocking the parts. (which is how you fix the small defects) There is 150-200 worth of paint/supplies that are needed and that will be at every shop. He is charging 4-5 hours. I don't think your going to find it much cheaper from a real shop but the only way to be sure to check out a few more shops. The only problem with body work in general there is a lot of ways to cut corners that may not show up for 6 month to a year or when go to repaint it. If i remember right some cut a few corners on your hood

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMP3D
Just trying to help.
LOL, don't feel bad, she's just a rude person.

As for estimates, I suggest that you check Craigslist for painters. This industry is slow right now and many body and paint professionals are looking for side jobs and charge much less.

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 05-20-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

i was told figure about 200-250 per a body panel for paint and minor prep work. so your estimate isnt to far off.

I had my car done as a side project at my friends body shop. he had to replace a fender and fix a small bend in the hood and replaced all the body molding . He repainted the whole car. He charged me 2700 for the whole job. said he would have charged any one else about 3500-4000 for the job he did on my car.

If you want some pictures i can get some tomorrow. I don't know if that helps.

Quick Reply: Paint quotes