"Paint" & Coating Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default "Paint" & Coating Help

Hey everyone, I'm working on doing some suspension upgrades on my '95 Z28 and while I am down there, I plan on doing some "touch up" work as well such as replacing the bushings on the front lower control arm and painting/coating some of the components and mounting locations. Anyway, what have you used and what would you recommend for coating these parts and/or mounting locations? I was debating between these two items:

- POR-15 Rubberized Undercoating 49308
- POR-15 Chassis Coat Black Paint 45818

Are there pros and cons of each? How's the prep for each one? Are these 2 worth the extra cost vs say a Rustoleum brand?

I was leaning towards just the Chassis coat because not only does it help prevent rust, but I could also use it to coat/repaint both the mounting location of the shock mount as well as the front lower control arm. I was just thinking the rubberized would be nice due to its sound deadening qualities, but I don't know if its worth buying 2 different types. What are you guys' thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you looked into powder coating?
https://camaroforums.com/forum/gener...97/#post284485

If powder coat is out of the question my next step would be the Eastwood epoxy in the rattle cans.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2...ack-gloss.html

Third option is the Por or Eastwood chassis paint.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-extreme-c...sol-14-oz.html

I am not a big fan of the "rubber undercoatings" If it lifts it can trap water and cause more problems then it solves.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-11-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Have you looked into powder coating?
https://camaroforums.com/forum/gener...97/#post284485

If powder coat is out of the question my next step would be the Eastwood epoxy in the rattle cans.
Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? Ceramic Chassis Black Gloss

Third option is the Por or Eastwood chassis paint.
Extreme Chassis BlackSatin 14 oz Aerosol ? Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Paint

I am not a big fan of the "rubber undercoatings" If it lifts it can trap water and cause more problems then it solves.
Powder coating was a thought, but I will probably be replacing some of the factory parts down the road so I didn't want to invest that money into them at this time and the other location I'm referring to is where the upper shock mount meets the body of the car. Hoping to coat that just to prevent further or potential rust.

What are your thoughts on covering the effected area with something like Rust-oleum's Reformer(http://tinyurl.com/j796pml) and then coating it with POR-15 Top Coat? Or is just the top coat enough? Do you know if the area/part has to be primed first?
Thanks Gorn!

Last edited by gagger84; 03-11-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just top coating can work if you are talking about a sealer, the sealer will stop water and the oxygen it contains from getting in BUT if there is enough rust it will have some water "stored" in the bulky parts part of the rust. This can allow the rust to grow after the sealer dries and it can crack the sealer.

Converting the rust to a black oxide and then top coating it is the preferred method. I like the permatex rust treatment. In fact when I did my 96 strut mounts I did permatex rust treatment and Eastwood encapuslator. Today I would use the treatment & Ceramic Epoxy. That would most likely be a life long repair. If a stone chips a sealer it is no longer sealing, epoxy is tuff to chip.

Either way you are extending the life of your strut mounts, most likely well beyond the life of the car.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-11-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Dupli color touch up paint from Auto zone in the can is the best way to go ,you can get black silver an a gloss coat works good , cost $7.00 a can will go along way for inside parts,then another version for parts outside the car ,an also vht is good stuff did my calipers 7 year ago still good ,yes sand blasting is good or sanding helps alot ,did the whole underside of the red 3800 with the under body coating ,the professional stuff was 100.00 but well worth it for pretty much every part was sprayed

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-13-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:15 AM
4th Gear Member

When I did the suspension pieces and engine accesories on my car, I sandblasted and then painted with either self etching primer or Krylon Zinc Rich Primer. I then used Dupilcolor Perfect Match to paint it. So far it has held up good. The Zinc Rich is expensive, but I've used a lot of it on my Jeep and it lays down nice and will help protect from rust.

I don't used undercoat for anything, only truck bed liner. I have sprayed under the entirety of the Jeep up halfway on the doors. I've had very few spots chip, oddly none of which were on the rockers or below.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the advice, thanks everyone! Hoping to pull the beast out of storage this weekend and get it set up to begin work on it!