pag oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default pag oil

i have a 97 camaro z28 i am going to be over hauling the ac system i will be replacing eveything but the evaporator and the hard metal lines here are my questions the new compressor does not have oil in it the insructions say place 2oz of pag oil in the copressor when i went to buy oil there was 3 diffrent weight 50,100 and 150 witch one should i use also where in the system is the orifice tube and would it be in my benefit to use a adjustable onei will be taking it someplace to be charged some one also told me to take 2oz of oil and put it into the condensor before i install it does that sound right

Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear member

the orifice tube is in line before the evaporator. it divides the high and low pressure sides of the system.. i would use the spec amt of pag oil like you said.. as for weights, i would check for specs on what climate works best for it.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ok just an fyi there is no orifice tube in the lt1 only in the 3.8 in the lt1 there is an expansion valve

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mab6680
ok just an fyi there is no orifice tube in the lt1 only in the 3.8 in the lt1 there is an expansion valve
ohhh. i know quite a bit on the 'theory' of how A/C works, but not specifically to da camaro. i removed the HVAC from mine right when i started to strip my camaro

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

i do have to say im sorry after reading my post a second time it does sound rude and directed towards you i assure you it wasnt directed towards you i also know the basics on a/c but was thrown off when every auto parts store listed orifice tubes for the lt1 and i really felt a bit stupid when i found out that the 25 bucks i spent on a adjustable tube good thing i didnt open it and i can return it

Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mab6680
i do have to say im sorry after reading my post a second time it does sound rude and directed towards you i assure you it wasnt directed towards you i also know the basics on a/c but was thrown off when every auto parts store listed orifice tubes for the lt1 and i really felt a bit stupid when i found out that the 25 bucks i spent on a adjustable tube good thing i didnt open it and i can return it
no hard feelins my man, no offense was taken!
always be weary of what any auto part store nOOb tells you... they'll say anything to sell you a part and make money even if its all wrong

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Overdrive Member

hmmm... GM dropped the expansion valve AC design on the 3rd gens, maybe even on second gens some time but I dont know for sure. I do know that all 3rd gens and 4th gens use the Oriface Tube type AC, system regardless of R12 or R134a. Being a 97 Camaro you will have R134a as your coolant and PAG oil. Not sure what weight you will need check with the OEM tech manual or with the documents that come with the new compressor. Make sure that you also replace the reciever/dryer, they do not like being left open for long periods of time and will collect water which will ice up your A/C system. You dont need me to tell you what Ice can do to your nice new goodies. A professional A/C shop will vacuum all the air and moisture out of the system before adding the R134a, you may want to talk to them about adding the oil since they may need to add it with their equipment after the system is evacuated.

Massey