Oxidized headlights how to refresh??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Oxidized headlights how to refresh??

I'm going to clean my headlights so they're clean and new looking, but after much research I realized people are using sandpaper and polishing compounds for the best results. If I do this am I going to ruin any type of finish (i.e. A finish coat) the light has, possibly resulting in a quicker yellowing/oxidation?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear member

I just completed this task on my folk's '99 Camaro the other weekend. Only one headlight needed cleaning as the other was a new unit. I took the light out of the car and performed the work inside since it's been so hot out. I used the Turtle Wax kit that includes three sanding pads of varying grits. One of the pads had one grain of paper on one side, and another grain on the other. I followed the instructions and it came out really good. Not as good as new, but it looks 100 times better than it did.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

I did this to my old Sunfire and it works very well. I've done it to many of my friends cars. I just wet sanded the headlight with 1500 grit sandpaper to get the yellow haze off(and it was bad). Then I finished it by wet sanding it with 2000 grit. I purchased the product Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer from Autozone that works well(but smells like ammonia). I used a hand buffer and buffed it really well and they looked way better. Hope this helps

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by RedKnight
I just completed this task on my folk's '99 Camaro the other weekend. Only one headlight needed cleaning as the other was a new unit. I took the light out of the car and performed the work inside since it's been so hot out. I used the Turtle Wax kit that includes three sanding pads of varying grits. One of the pads had one grain of paper on one side, and another grain on the other. I followed the instructions and it came out really good. Not as good as new, but it looks 100 times better than it did.
How long was the process? Thinking about doing this to my headlights, they aren't bad but could definitely use a going over.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
4th Gear Member

my 2 cents

if they are really bad, wet sand with 1500 grit and finish with any rubbing compound that you have hanging around

If they aren't too bad, then wet sand with 2000 grit and finish with any rubbing compound you have hanging around

if they are just a wee bit foggy, or for twice per year maintenance, you guessed it, use any rubbing compound that you have hanging around

I've tried just the special plastic compound for headlights and i buffed, and buffed and never blew my house in..err, they never came out awesome. I switched to wet 1500 grit and a few minutes later I was styling

Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i will be using 1500 then 2000 grit then metal polishing compound tomorrow. I'll post before and after.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear member

I've had really good luck with a Flitz wheel and Flitz metal polish.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, Flitz works well too. I use that stuff on everything that needs polished...well, I don't brush my teeth with it though! Hmmmmmm.....yet!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Guitar
How long was the process? Thinking about doing this to my headlights, they aren't bad but could definitely use a going over.
It wasn't long at all. The box recommends the first grit be used for 1 minute's time, and each subsequent grit pad be worked for less. Of course, that's doing it in small sections at a time. I think the whole thing took me like 20 minutes to work with it. It sure helped that I took the headlight out of the car to work on it. I just brought it in the house and worked on at a counter top.

Quick Reply: Oxidized headlights how to refresh??