Options for beef-up. Give your advice HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Options for beef-up. Give your advice HERE!

Hey all, I appreciate the help I've gotten so far on the forum, and I need some advice.

I have a 97 Z28, 6-speed. The car has 78K on the odometer. Only mods are K&N Intake, MSD 6A box & MSD wires, Centerforce clutch, Borla cat-back, Crankshaft underdrive pulley.
I'm interested in doing some major engine changes, to get some serious power to the ground. I was thinking of purchasing a Golen 396 (520hp), but it's over 8 grand. If I were to do such a thing, I'd have to upgrade other systems on the car as well (coolant, brakes, rear end (fo sho), etc.). So really, the tally of coinage would easily exceed 10 grand, plus I'd like to have the car repainted at some point down the road. That's quite a bit of cash, plus I'd have to go through the PITA of pulling the motor, tagging&bagging fasteners, tagging vac lines and sensors, etc.
Recently I've been thinking about leaving the bottom end alone, and just doing some renovations elsewhere. I'm thinking heads (beefed up with 1.6 rockers, springs, possibly titanium retainers), cam (somewhere around high 500's, possibly low 600's lift), MSD Pro-Billet opti replacement & better wires, LT4 timing chain setup, porting the intake (to match new heads), 58mm TB, bigger injectors, headers, 3.73 (or 4.10) gears, and TA rear end stiffener/cover. This way, I don't have to pull the motor, and have all this stuff installed within amonth or two(as long as I keep the parts streaming in). Keep in mind that I will be doing all the work myself, so labor isn't in the equation.
I'm asking for your advice and suggestions, as to go with new stroked motor all together, or just hopping up the motor I have now. I'm also welcoming suggestions as to what heads to get, cam profile, etc.
Keep in mind that I want to run the motor on 93 octane pump gas, so no crazy compression for me. I'm also attempting to keep the car fairly "stock" as in NO S/C, turbo, nitrous, or other extra power-adders.
The goal here for me is to build up the car to 400-450hp (hopefully 400+ rwhp), but still have it streetable and dependable, to be able to take a few road trips here and there. The car will look stock outside, and will just have a beefed up motor under the hood, without destroying the stock appearance too badly.
Bring on the suggestions/criticism!!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Options for beef-up. Give your advice HERE!

ok well that $8k motor screw it if ur gonna put a new motor in build it yourself for less. im starting a simaliar project myself and my goal is 450+rwhp. i just got a forged 383 shortblock for 1500 u just gotta look for deals. for heads and cam i think im gonna go with advanced inductions 200cc cnc'd heads and a custom cam. my budget for the motor is around $5k then im going to call up midwest chasis for a fabricated 9" they have great prices. but for your goal i believe that if you contact lloyd elliot or advanced inductions and they will both help u out to meet ur goal. doing the entire valvetrain wen u do heads and cam is a great idea.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Overdrive Member

A cam with .600 lift on a traditional SBC is huge, this isn't an LS1 we're talking about.

That said, I would recommend this (and it's actually what I'm planning on doing...):
Get a decent top end that flows a little too much for a standard 350. You'll make decent power but loose a little over your optimum low end torque (you'll lose ~10 ft/lbs over what you could have), but since you have higher flow you know you'll have enough flow if you ever want to stroke it out. Contact Lloyd Elliott at http://www.elliottsportworks.com/ and check out his packages.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

call lloyd elliott like slvr said. his le2 package can get you to 400+ at the wheels assuming you aren't in a ridiculously strict emissions state

Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Lloyd's LE2 package looks like it could fit the bill for me, with the 232/240 custom cam and 1.6 rockers, along with ported intake manifold, bigger injectors, and bigger TB with some dyno time. Any thoughts on using titanium retainers/locks instead of steel? any benefits or consequences?
With the LE2 setup and my other plans, should I be able to hit 400 to the wheels?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Overdrive Member

you should hit 400 with a tune no problem, but i would reccomend some long tube headers before doing all this work

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Longtubes, as well as many other parts (listed in my original post) are included in my setup I've got dreamed up. However, I forgot to add an aftermarket MAF to the list in my post as well.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh, forgot to add that I'm in IL, and there is no emissions testing in my area.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Don't worry about an aftermarket MAF, they don't get you anything. You'll be better off getting a new MAF housing that has a larger diameter, the sensor is the same. Check out Mid America Motor Works website in their LT1 Corvette section for a new housing.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Couldn't access mid-america motor works' website, looks like it's down. Thanks for the info about another MAF, that will save me a few bucks.

Anyone have heads and/or a cam from Lloyd? Any compliments or complaints?

Quick Reply: Options for beef-up. Give your advice HERE!