only 6 cylinders firing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default only 6 cylinders firing?

yesterday i tested my 0-60 time and i ran it in 9.15 seconds. i was pretty dissapointed.... so i did some research online and it says the stock z28s run it in 5.8 sec. and the stock v6 runs it in 9.0 sec. so i was wondering if only 6 cylinders are firing. does anyone think that could be the problem? if so what will i need to do to fix it. new plugs and wires?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Default RE: only 6 cylinders firing?

If only 6 were firing you'd have a rough idle. How's it run? Are you using the right oil? When was the last time it was changed? How's your air filter?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Droid

What transmission do you have, auto or manual? Could be a bad transmission, if not ,your engine is in need of help.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Wow....seriously, WOW!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thank you everybody thats trying to help. but chappie99..... shut the **** UP!!!! sorry im just a rookie and im trying to find some people to help me out. for the ones that are, thank you very much, i appreciate it. anyways its an automatic. it idles kinda rough an shakes a little more than it should. maybe my plugs are all dirty..... i have no clue. but any suggestions would help. maybe new plugs and wires?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Well if it is in fact firing on 6 cyl's then ur in need of some work, i would bring it to the shop and have em throw it on the computer and find out whats wrong, r u throwing any codes or anything???

Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Member

you'd through a blinking SES lite wouldnt you?... how many miles teh car have? could be just all your regular tune up stuff, im surprised you didnt look into it when rough idle started, and im surprised you didnt realize lag in it daily driving... seeing how it's a V8.

a bad MAF sensor can do that stuff too, least it did in my dad's 86 camaro.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Overdrive Member

If only 6 cylinders were firing you'd be able to tell, it would run like **** and you'd get horrible gas milage and the exhaust would smell like gas. If everything seems to be running right, I'd say you may need some practice!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea it runs like **** some times. especially when it heats up. when i drive it for the first time of the day it seems to run ok. but when it heats up just a little bit it seems like it lags really bad i guess u could say. like when im at half throttle it just seems like its not moving. also my oil pressure sometimes comes down really low. and its funny that u mentioned the gas smell because i took one of my friends for a ride and he pointed it out and thought i might have a gas leak but i just filled up and i think it was just the fresh gas smell. also i noticed i only have 7mm wires. so maybe i should change those to 8.5mm and change all the plugs? one more thing, i put my rear tires to 30psi and i tested my 0-60 and i ran it in 8.7 sec. is that normal?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Overdrive Member

8.7 is way slow for a Z28. I still have the stock wires so you may not need to replace those, but change all the plugs and look at the old ones to see if any of them are fouled and may be causing it to miss. If it only runs bad sometimes I'd say that you probably have all the cylinders firing, if you have one that isn't you should be able to tell that the car is missing. My SES light never went on when I had a cylinder that wasn't firing, so don't trust that.

Quick Reply: only 6 cylinders firing?