Which one should I buy......

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Gotta go with Gorn... run both cars by a reputible mechanic, and have them check out both. Trust me, WELL worth whatever few bucks it'll cost you.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh, how much are you selling the Vette for? If it were me, I'd keep and fix it since it's a better handling car (despite it being an 89), and a lot easier to work on under the hood than the Camaro is. Too bad the 4th gen Camaros are such a pita to work on. Otherwise I'd say to buy them both, make a "best" car from the two, and resell the other one.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
4th Gear Member

what was done during the "rebuild" ?

What I consider to be a "rebuild" is what others consider a "reman"

Some folks where I live consider new gaskets and rings to be a "rebuild"

that right there would be my deciding factor, find out exactly what was done during the "rebuild". Also, having a rebuilt 4L60E is not a bad thing either.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

what do you guys think about just going with an LT1 with a LOT less miles for the same price? mine was barely over $6000 and had 63k miles and excellent condition. and depending on where you are you can probably get even better deals.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Do you know a good mechanic? Have the cars checked out. Anytime you buy a used car how good it is will come back to how it was used and maintained. I have seen 2002's with 80K on them that where shot and I have seen 98's with 150K that I would not think twice about hopping in and heading accoss country in.

The LS1 is a good motor but it is NOT a more dependable motor then the 3800. It is very common to see 3800's with 200K on them. It is concidered one of GMs best motors for dependablitly.

A GM injector is a GM injector. The only way a injector can cause a motor to fail is if the driver ignores that fact the motor is running like complete crap and drives it anyway. You do that with any motor it will fail. The L89 350 in your Vett is another very dependable motor. It is possible you have really really bad luck, or you bought cars that aleady had issues, or your the problem but so far you have gone thru two motors I would concider as or more dependable then a LS1. You really should get the car your are looking out checked out.
The 1997 with the injector problem drove perfect until the day it would not start becuase the engine was seized. The only thing I noticed was that my gas mileage was bad all of a sudden. I know now becuase it was going right down into the engine.

My Corvette did have issues when I bought it, and I have taken it to a mechanic but of course it doesn't have the problem when it is there.

I am leaning towards the 99 at this point becuase the more I think about it, what would cause the trans and motor to be rebuilt.... I think it must of been drag races or abused/pushed to hard. So I wonder how the rear axle is, if it had been raced. A lot of guessing though.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Again, listen to Gorn, take one or both to a mechanic you trust. The 3800s and L89s are almost legendary for their durability. The LT1 (other than the optispark) is another engine that just keeps on going and going. The LS1 is no more reliable than any of the other engines. It all just depends on how they have been maintained. Getting 150,000 miles out of any of the above without major problems is not uncommon.

Without knowing the complete history of the cars, and you will never know that, just remember the old adage "buyer caveo" (aka buyer beware).

Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Ya, I'm not selling the Vette. Going to trying and get it working the best I can, if need be put a new engine in it. It does handle amazing and has amazing torque.

Thank you all for you thoughts and ideas!! Very helpful!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Which one should I buy?

I would buy the black one, because I own a white car and it is boring. Black cars always look better than a similar white car. As long as the body is nice.