Okay boys, camaro is coming home tomarrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Okay boys, camaro is coming home tomarrow

checked it out today, check engine and SES lights are off now, however the

airbag, and abs inop are still on. i have a actron abs scan so i assume that should point me in the right direction for the abs.
the airbag i dont know anything much about, can someone fill me in?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Was it replaced? It deployed in the wrecK?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

In another thread, you were asking about removing the passenger side airbag. Does that have anything to do with your light being on?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah they are related 69, and yes the bags deployed in the wreck gorn, we swapped out the whole dash, and driver bag, and the module, however the light is still on.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

...and the sensors in the front too?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

sensors?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Overdrive Member

First off what year is your car again? For the older ones 93-96(7) there is a sensor on the core support right near the hood latch, there should also be a couple others on each frame rail near the bumper. Also one in the console.

Newer cars (97)98-02 have a different system that does not use the one in the middle of the core support, there are 2 of them behind the bumper, on each frame rail and also one inside the console. This system needs to have any 2 sensors tripped to discharge the airbags. Once the sensors have been tripped they need to be replaced. None of the sensors can be reset if they have been tripped. The Airbag light will remain on even if one sensor is tripped. If you can scan the airbag system it will tell you what sensors are tripped, or if the airbags are not reading properly. if they are still deployed the light will remain on till the bags are reset.

Massey

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

hmm good chunk of info there massey, its a 2000 z28 that i have. the sensor under the center console and the two airbags have been changed, not too sure about the two sensors behind the bumper. are they access able without taking the bumper off? if they are tripped, can they still deploy the new airbags that are in there?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

they should not deploy the bags if all works properly. The computer polls the sensors first when the car is powered up. If the sensors are tripped the system is completely disabled and the light comes on, on the dash. DISCONNECT the battery before changing any of the sensors. Also wait 15 minutes for the capacitors to discharge completely. The sensors if I remember right are accesable from under the car, and around actual face bar. You may have to remove the plastic covers under there. I cant remember it has been a long time since I had to replace any of those sensors. Also the airbag stuff will have YELLOW plugs and YELLOW sheething around the cables.

Massey

P.S. I will see about finding them on my 99 camaro, they should be in the same place as yours is.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

hey auto, hows it going?? good to here the camaro will be home soon

I got EFIlive for mine now so ill scan mine and tell you the air bag sensor things that went on mine (there are 4 so far) Like I said before I didn't relace then so just took the bulb out so my codes are still there. Like massy said one is a concol sensor, the other in near the battery on mine (apparently) i've not seen it so dunno really??? I have a look later for you.

No ideas on the abs or traction though, mine seemed to go out after the SES was off

Quick Reply: Okay boys, camaro is coming home tomarrow