Ok need your guys opinion (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Ok need your guys opinion (again)

Ok guys I am really sorry if it seems like I am over posting. But as a few know. My camaro pooped out on me. Over heated it, and now it won't start. the last it started it started shooting white smoke out of the exhaust. Ive checked the oil numerous times, and the oil is not milky. It looks like clean oil. The car has sat since sunday, so i think thats why the oil is higher. my question is, what would you guys do? All my money went into this car. Im about 2500 in. Its a 1994 v6 3.4. Is it worth fixing? How would I go about it? If the oil isn't milky is it still a head gasket? Or could it be worse? I can't drop another $1000 into the engine. The car isn't worth it. I have no experience with engines, and niether does my dad. I might get my gf's uncle to let me work on the engine in his shop, but how much could this run me? and i have no idea what Im looking for yet. The hayens manual i have doesn't say jack about the engine. Its honestly very stressful at the moment and I need a little guidance from people who know these cars, and have rebuilt them countless times. Thanks guys. I do really appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i did the head gaskets on my 95 3.4 its quite easy if you have some knowledge about cars and a basic socket set... somewhere on here i have some pics ill try to find them...

anyways yes you can deff have a blown head gasket and no coolant go into the oil it could be leaking into the cylinder and burning causing smoke pull the plugs and see if any of them are really clean like brand new if so your burning coolant causing a steam cleaning of the chamber

Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

If the car keeps failing like this one, I would sell or junk it and get something else. Nothing is worse than pouring money into a car that keeps breaking down on you.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if its just the head gaskets and you can do it yourself it will only be like 100$

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

well thats some really good news to hear. If the weather holds up I'll pull a few spark plgus today. I have about 3 different socket sets, metric and standard. I just need to know where they are, how to get to them, what ll will I need to replace, and how do i get the coolant outta the engine? Since its not turning over someone told me it could be flooded and not letting it start.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjsmar
well thats some really good news to hear. If the weather holds up I'll pull a few spark plgus today. I have about 3 different socket sets, metric and standard. I just need to know where they are, how to get to them, what ll will I need to replace, and how do i get the coolant outta the engine? Since its not turning over someone told me it could be flooded and not letting it start.

now hold on son ( gee, I sound like Foghorn Leghorn)

did you just say that the engine won't turn?

If I misunderstood you then that's a relief.

Anyway, as for what to do, do you really have options?

If you don't have the money to put into repairs then surely you don't have the money to buy a car that has no issues. So, you need to fix what you have.

I'd suggest replacing the head gasket and see where you are after that.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah. The car won't turn over. I turn the key and it thumps and thats it. the dash lgiths light up dimly

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to pull the plug on the pan for a second to see if you have coolant at the bottom. if the oil and coolant did not have time to mix the coolant will be at the bottom (oil floats) of the oil pan and will not show on the stick.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

let me try and get this when u turn the key the motor does not even spin like its trying to start? then it sounds like the motor siezed up

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah in another thread i told him to take the plugs out to make sure a cylinder is not full of coolant. lol, i think he is in denial.

Quick Reply: Ok need your guys opinion (again)