Oil in Radiator, Good Advice Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:23 PM
Default Oil in Radiator, Good Advice Needed!

Hi,
I have a 2002 V6 and it has run great for as long as I have had it. It has 84,000 miles, I bought it with 75. The guy I bought it from 2 years ago took excellent care of it and was a single owner. The only problem (which he had and told me about) was sometimes when I turned the key all the dashboard lights would come on and it wouldn't start, I would simply turn it off and turn the key again and it would start and run just fine. 3 months ago I had to pass emissions and the check engine light had come on about a week before. A sketchy smog mechanic told me I needed a new throttle body and solenoid for $2200 or they could not do that and fake "pass" me for my smog for $500. I didn't trust them at all, paid them the $160 for looking at my check engine light and took it to a trustworthy smog guy. He reset the check engine light, I drove it for 100 miles to clear the catalytic converter and the light has never come back on since then and I passed smog fine. I also never had the problem with thekey turn/ dashboard lights again, though nobody fixed anything. I am questioning if those original shysters could have put oil in my radiator when I didn't let them fix anything or fake pass my smog?

About a month ago I noticed it idling wierd once, but nothing happened and then was fine.

About a week ago the low oil went on once (turned off after turning car off once and didn't come back on) so I checked the oil and it was at the bottom hash marks, nothing crazy low, so I added about a quart and a half. Previous to that, about 4 months ago, I changed my own oil and nothing wierd happened during or since.
I have never overheated, have changed the oil consistently and had it parked in a garage driving mostly locally.
On Saturday I was driving and it suddenly lost power and stalled going about 25, the check guage for fuel light went on even though I had a half of a tank.

A local guy helped me on the street and recommended me to a mechanic just down the street as I got it in a strip mall parking lot (where it still is). We both agreed it seemed like the fuel pump. I just talked to the mechanic (I don't have a regular one, moved to town 2 years ago when I bought the car) and my mind is now blown and I don't know what to do. He won't take the car and is not charging me anything for looking at it. He said the fuel pump is probably bad, but that he found oil in the radiator and believes that something worse is wrong. He said there was nothing strange in the oil or the transmission, just the radiator. He said that it would cost me at his shop over $1000 to do the fuel pump (located in a hard place, $450 for just the pump plus at least 5 hours of labor) and he doesn't think it will fix it the real problem because of the oil in the radiator. He said he doesn't have room in his shop or the extensive time he thinks it would take and he recommended me to another mechanic whom I haven't spoken with yet. He said it was probably a head gasket or worse and that it will cost me many thousands of dollars for sure and made it sound like I need to be willing to spend that or just get rid of it before I put anything into it. He did not offer to buy it or do anything sketchy, he sounded like a nice and helpful guy. He flat out just wouldn't take it because he said it seemed like too big of a headache and wouldn't accept any money for looking at it because he said I had enough problems to deal with.

I am just so confused because there have been no indications of anything wrong with my car, no overheating or strange sounds or behavior other than what I have already mentioned. Does anyone have any experience with this, recommendations or advice? I was reading about oil coolers and that sometimes that gets oil in the radiator but I am not sure if this car has one (it is the 35th anniversary model.)

I am a woman and often it can be harder to deal with mechanics because they assume I know nothing, and while I cannot fix my own cars I do have a basic understanding and want to talk to this new mechanic with some knowledge; or get out now and sell it before dumping a bunch of money into it and fixing the wrong thing. Also I live in Santa Barbara, everything is really expensive here- but this car has never seen a winter outside of Southern California, though I think the previous own would drive it to Tahoe.
Thanks for anything you have to say!!!

Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. there is a very limited way oil can get into the coolant.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As Craby said there is very little chance you have oil in your radiator unless someone put it in there. While oil in the coolant is a common issue and does indicate a larger issue with over head cam motors your 3800 shares no seals with the coolant system with oil under pressure. The oil passes through the head gasket but it is not under pressure.

Now after saying that, Oil in my coolant is one of the most common complaint we see here. I am 99% sure its not oil. The original Dex-cool coolant was orange, it should be replaced every 2-3 years. If its not maintained it turns into a mud looking substance. It will clump together and looks just likes what people think is oil. Oil on the other hand will mix with coolant, it will look like a light changing to darker milkshake depending on volume of oil.. You will not is spots of oil unless the car have been sitting long enough for the oil and coolant to separate. As soon as the car warms up it would just remix.

You can get the system flushed but but it will take a lot of flushing to get everything out of the system once its in there..

If you are interested in doing your fuel pump yourself, search Hatch in the 4th gen section. It shows and easy way to install the pump by cutting a hatch under the carpet. Also that $400 is most likely the complete pump and sending unit. You can just replace the pump with a high quality pump for under $150. All of this can be found on youtube. . .

Old 04-01-2021, 08:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Good advice above...i would start with fuel pump relay and fuses first. Easiest and cheapest first. Might be able to check voltage to fuel pump to see if thats the issue.