oil filter exploded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear member
Default oil filter exploded?

Ok so last night i was driving and i acelerated pretty fast and it seemed like the lifter noise got louder i was close to my house i parked the car and went to sleep today when i woke up i was starting the car and wabem there was a dull metal sound coming out of the engine it was realy scary so i shut it off i get out of the car and my ro-ro is standing in the pile of its own blood i open up the hood and i see the seal from my fram filter is sticking out and the filter dosent look too happy. What might have cause this ti happen?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

how long ago did you put on the filter?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Id say 1k miles ago timewise id say less the a mounth

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Ninja Administrator

any other work done recently that may have resulted in an oil pressure spike?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
any other work done recently that may have resulted in an oil pressure spike?
Nothing that was related to oil or oil pressure i did go pretty fast on the highway i hit 4.5k rpms here is link to how it sounded yesterday nite http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=o3JykcSUF6Y

Last edited by sebi1990; 03-08-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Overdrive Member

When my engine did this it happened 2x. THe first time was in the previous owner's driveway and she was able to shut down with no major damage to the engine. When it happened again I was driving down the road and I could not get it shut down in time. Soon after a rod started knocking, and I ended up replacing my engine. My cause was #5 rod bearing spun. It tore up the crank pretty good too.

This engine picks up oil and feeds it through the pump then to the filter and out to the cam then crank. The rods are fed through the main journals of the crank. Due to the design if there is an obstruction of the crank, cam or rods this will result in a sudden higher than normal pressure that could exceed the limits of the oil filter gasket. There is a pressure relief valve in the block but if the pressure spikes suddenly it can pop the oil filter gasket before the valve moves into the bypass position.

Replace your oil filter and check your oil level, add as needed. start the engine and watch the oil pressure. If it is way above or below 60 psi then you have internal damage and should not drive the car. If that is the case then see my thread here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/3800-series-ii-iii-engine-replacement-info-57568/
For locations of new engines for you.

If your oil level is good (right around 60) you may still have internal damage, but take it easy on the engine and it should last a while longer. If it pops another oil filter then you have issues and again see the link for a new engine.

Massey

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Kk thx massey i hope it wont be neccesary

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Definitely sounds like a lot of pressure built up somewhere. Glad everything is ok... Typical GM design and stupidity.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's something else you want to check. More than once when I've changed my oil, the gasket from the old filter sticks to the block. Always make sure you look at the old filter to make sure the gasket is there. If you're not paying attention to the old oiled up filter, it could be easy to install the new filter with the old gasket still on the block, especially if you can't get a good straight visual of the area (which is not uncommon). With two gaskets under the filter, you will have a blowout, guaranteed.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You descried the normal death of a motor almost perfectly. When a motor starts to eat itself the first symptom is normally a lifter noise. This is because of the small pieces of metal in the oil on the “other” side of the oil filters get into the lifters. As it continues the “valves” will get louder until a bearing finally spins. The oil has to pass thru the bearing but once it spins the holes do not align and the bearing cuts off the oil supply to the motor Oil pressure spikes and valves get real noisy. This can take months, weeks or days. I hope this is not the case for you but it might be time to start looking for a used motor. Motors that suffer this fate generally cost more to repair then to replace.

Quick Reply: oil filter exploded?