Noob w/ a question about keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
dwb
Default Noob w/ a question about keys

I am the proud new owner of a 98 Z28. The car is in great shape, but it only came with 1 ignition ket and a remote. I went to the dealer and had them cut a door key by the VIN. This key ended up costing me over $40. They told me that GM charges the dealership $29.99 to look up the key code, which they passed on to me. This sounds like BS to me. Does anyone know if this is standard practice or did I just get screwed? They also charged me $7.50 to cut the key in addition to purchasing the blank. I know that everyone has to make their money, but I think that this is a bit excessive.

I probably shouldn't mention this here, so please don't hold it against me. I sold parts at a ford dealership for several years, and we never charged to look up a key code, or cut a key. We just sold the blanks and did the rest as a courtesy to the customer.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a similar issue... I only got one ignition with 4 doors. so I asked about getting an ignition key, and they said 60 bucks. so I walked and still only have one ignition key...

I was asking for the ignition key though, which is a chip key. so given, the key does cost a little more, but I didn't need it looked up by vin. (which does sound like a load of crap...)

I think you did get an ok deal there... lost keys are a difficult thing, I asked about what I could do if I lost my ignition key, and theres the same "lookup by vin" charge there...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

For the door key just go to walmart and pay $2. It does not sound like a load of bs to me just a stupid fee. As for the the ignition key $60 is not a bad price. I think my local dealership is about $150. A local locksmith does it for $20.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Kind of sounds like BS to me.

My 94 has PASSKEY and the ignition key doesn't have a chip, just a resistor pellet. I remember when the PASSKEY system came out and there are somethng like 9 or 10 different resistance values available. If you have one working key you can use a DVOM to measure the resistance of that key and then buy the blank that matches. The blank can then be cut to match your inhand key using a standard key duplicator so no code request to GM is necessary at all.

I know that later Camaros had a more sophisticated antitheft system but I don't know what model year it began.

Anyone??? Bueller???

Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

From what dwb was saying, he didn't have a door key at all, so he needed more than just a simple duplicate key made. The ignition key has 15 different values available. But the dealers, locksmiths, hardware stores want upward of $30 or more to make a duplicate. I bought a blank resistor key off ebay (got the guy at ACE Hardware to read my existing one). It was only about ten bucks for the blank, then ACE can cut it and charge like it's any regular cheap key.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
From what dwb was saying, he didn't have a door key at all, so he needed more than just a simple duplicate key made. The ignition key has 15 different values available. But the dealers, locksmiths, hardware stores want upward of $30 or more to make a duplicate. I bought a blank resistor key off ebay (got the guy at ACE Hardware to read my existing one). It was only about ten bucks for the blank, then ACE can cut it and charge like it's any regular cheap key.

I noticed them on E-bay for that price but the seller made it sound like you had to go to one of their affiliates to get it cut. Guess that part is bunk then huh? Good to know.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Pablo63
I noticed them on E-bay for that price but the seller made it sound like you had to go to one of their affiliates to get it cut. Guess that part is bunk then huh? Good to know.
The resistor key gets cut the same way any regular key does. My local ACE sells and cuts them, but the blanks are a lot cheaper online.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear member

I did just what Camaro69 did for my '94. I only had one ignition key and one door key and an aftermarket alarm that locked/unlocked the doors.

Did a little research and measured the value of the resistor on my ignition key. Found one on the net for about $7-8 bucks with shipping. Took it and my original to my local hardware store and they duplicated it for free.

I don't know what the anti-theft system is like on the last few years of the 4th gen, but it sounds like you got bent over and taken advantage of. But, that is what dealerships are best at, isn't it?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

He dint get ripped off. He doesnt have the original key so it gonna cost more for sure. 40 is steep for just the door key but its a dealer. Dealers always charge more for everything.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's what's called a "gotcha" item. "So, you say you want to be able to unlock your door eh"? That'll cost ya.
It's still about half as much as what a road rescue company would charge to open your door, if the fob were to fail.

Quick Reply: Noob w/ a question about keys