Noise, bearings and/or u-joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure its a posi rearend or youll be spinning the one wheel wonder all the time.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Let me just clarify all the malices this car has right now :-)

The car has a bent passenger side axle shaft. That is causing the noise I initially reported. The car also has a shot front (third member or drive pinion) seal that I would like to take care of if I can help it. Now, the u-joints on the drive shaft will also need to be replaced as they are beginning to show some play.

While this car is a fourth gen, I also have two third gens around, I was wondering if the axle shafts were compatible since one of these third gens I am not planning on keeping as it needs too much work.

I am going to the junk yard today. They told me over the phone that they have several of these fourth gen cars in their "self service" yard. They would sell me the complete rear end, not just an axle shaft for $100.

I hope to find a compatible rear end, I would decide if swapping the whole thing would be better depending on the condition of the one that I find.

I really need to get this going. I am currently driving a truck (Ford F250 V10) that is a little pricey to be driving every day plus it needs a couple of things fixed before the snow hits us around here :-).

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, I will keep you all posted.

regards,
Jim
ahh

light dawns

yup, find an entire rear end BUT...........

before just installing it, put in new bearings and seals because you really don't want to go through it again

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Ohh well. I just got an axle shaft (I know, lazy) I just could not afford to spend the time replacing the whole thing.
Anyways, I will be installing this sometime this week. I managed to make a video of the wobling wheel for those interested :-)

you can see it in the link below.

Thanks all for your help. I will post an update when I finish it

http://youtu.be/o5HguK6kOKo

Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, the replacement shaft is in and there are no more noises coming from the rear. The car behaves nicely now.
What a PITA was that bolt holding the "center pin" inside the third member. The friggin' thing was rounded on contact by the wrench lol. I was able to take it off after a few minutes of break and cursing. After that it was a breeze.
Thanks to all of you who commented and help fixing this thing. It is definitely a fun car and since it is the only one running of my 3 camaros, it makes it special. I might even sell the other two lol.

regards,

Jim