Noise, bearings and/or u-joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Heh, I didn't want to go through the trouble of answering a question that wasn't asked yet, if the pinion seal wasn't his plan. And I like to "cheat" whenever I think I can get away with it.
Instead of counting the number of turns, I would prefer to count the number of threads that are showing beyond the nut on the pinion shaft. Counting the turns could end up to be slightly inaccurate once you get to the end, or while starting the nut back on again. If you don't put the nut back in the same place as it was, you would/could be altering your pinion gear depth setting, which could eventually damage the r&p gears.
when done that way you might end up 1/4 turn off in either direction and the counting threads is not accurate either but, either method is within reasonable tolerances

here's an admission; some of us don't see as good as we used to and those threads are getting tougher to see. A big ole blob of white can't be missed

Now please don't tell Gorn about about my admission

Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No, I meant number of threads in conjunction with initially marking it as you said.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys are awesome!!!
Thanks for all the suggestions. The cheat method sounds peachy and makes sense. I used to do something like that when removing some shafts on the hydraulics on forklifts on a previous life of me.

I believe torque mentioned the rim not getting completely inside around the hub. I will doublecheck that once the rain stops lol (yes, I have a garage, yes it is for three cars but I can only fit one inside lol)

regards to all

jim

I will keep updating.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if a third gen shaft will fit this car? I ask because I have 2 third gens that are doing nothing in my driveway :-)

I could swap the shafts and call it a day.

Regards,

jim

Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Does anyone know if a third gen shaft will fit this car? I ask because I have 2 third gens that are doing nothing in my driveway :-)

I could swap the shafts and call it a day.

Regards,

jim

are you saying that your driveshaft now has a problem?

If you have a leaky pinion seal, that is not on the drive shaft, it's on the axle/diff

and I'ze gutz ta know

why do you have 2 driveshafts hanging around?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

he may be better off changing the whole rearend. check around and see whats available in your local wrecking yards.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
he may be better off changing the whole rearend. check around and see whats available in your local wrecking yards.
I don't think we've still been able to discern what exactly he needs to do???????????

First it was a leaky pinion seal, now he's mentioning an issue with the driveshaft. A pinion seal is no big deal but now I'm confused................

Old 11-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Does anyone know if a third gen shaft will fit this car?
Yes, 3rd and 4th gen shafts interchange.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah sorta jumping around. i was thinkin if the car hit something hard enough to bend the axle no tellin what else is messed up in the rearend. your right tig need to try and figure out what it is first.

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I don't think we've still been able to discern what exactly he needs to do???????????

First it was a leaky pinion seal, now he's mentioning an issue with the driveshaft. A pinion seal is no big deal but now I'm confused................

Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Let me just clarify all the malices this car has right now :-)

The car has a bent passenger side axle shaft. That is causing the noise I initially reported. The car also has a shot front (third member or drive pinion) seal that I would like to take care of if I can help it. Now, the u-joints on the drive shaft will also need to be replaced as they are beginning to show some play.

While this car is a fourth gen, I also have two third gens around, I was wondering if the axle shafts were compatible since one of these third gens I am not planning on keeping as it needs too much work.

I am going to the junk yard today. They told me over the phone that they have several of these fourth gen cars in their "self service" yard. They would sell me the complete rear end, not just an axle shaft for $100.

I hope to find a compatible rear end, I would decide if swapping the whole thing would be better depending on the condition of the one that I find.

I really need to get this going. I am currently driving a truck (Ford F250 V10) that is a little pricey to be driving every day plus it needs a couple of things fixed before the snow hits us around here :-).

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, I will keep you all posted.

regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: Noise, bearings and/or u-joints?