no fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default no fire

i have a 1994 camaro 3.4 automatic i went out to my garage one day to start it and it started but i had to play with the gas pedal to keep it running then it died and i couldnt get it started after that... about 4 months later (now) i just replaced the ignition switch (it was hanging out with wires everywere) and also replaced the ignition control module and i got it started but had to play with the pedal to get it to stay running (again) but atleast it would start again so i put new plugs/wires/oil/oil filter in now cant get it to fire at all again.... the security light comes on when the key is first turned to on but goes off after a couple seconds... theres good fuel pressure to the regulator, good spark (after replacing those parts) ANY IDEAS WHAT IT COULD BE?... i know im leaving something out... i dont make very much money AT ALL so i cant afford a mechanic...but i have been working on cars since i was a kid its just the electrical stuff that gets me....

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your fuses in both fuse boxes. the only thing left is fuel. you know your getting spark and air. the one thing left to do is get a noid light for the injectors and see if the computer is telling the injectors to fire.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 PM
4th Gear Member

You need to get it scanned for codes to see if it is showing anything if possible. When you say you can't get it to fire, are you saying the engine is turning over but no spark or nothing at all is happening?

Check out this site, it may help you if it is the VATS system.
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

the security light comes on for a few seconds when tou first turn the key on...

a local autoshop is the one who put the ignition switch in and here is what the bill said...

"came in with no spark. replaced ignition module. the vehicle started and died out after it ran for a minute or two. security codes in the system for the pass key. the pass key system had broken wires falling out of the ignition switch(vehicle had been shutting off due to security system). put a new lock cylinder and a key with a new chip because the wires were comming out. after that, there were still codes for the security system."

that is what is in the bill word for word ... they told me to pay them what i owed so far and pick up the car... bul**** mechanic just wanted easy money without the work... thats why i cant afford another mechanic because i cant afford to be ripped off again...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the security sytem will not let you turn the motor over if its set off. so if that were it you would get nothing when the key is in the start position. i think its the injectors not firing. got to make sure then figure out why.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i tried every autozone,napa,advance auto within a 15 mile radius and none have a noid light or injector tester... is there any other way to test them?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear member

doesnt he have to reset the security system.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

how do you do that gfrench?,.... well it started yesterday but ran rough so i shut it down and replaced wires/oil and now it wont fire again... if it was security wouldnt it not fire at all?
ill be on here all day while working on the car updating what ive checked and proggress...

Last edited by NEW_CAMARO_OWNER; 07-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Droid

Did you replace the key with one of the same resistor value as the original key? If the resistor value is different the VATS system will tell the PCM to disable the starter and injectors.
VATS does not affect spark.
In a properly working security system, the VATS will light the security lamp when the key is first turned on (bulb check) and turn the lamp off within a few seconds.
If VATS does not see a key with the proper value resistor, it will tell the PCM to disable the starter and injectors, and light the security lamp.
VATS will not shut down a running engine. (safety issue)
If VATS detects a security problem while the engine is running, it will remember that the engine was previously started legally and on successive restarts it will not disable the starter and injectors, but the security lamp will stay lit while the engine is running.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i used a 6/12V indicator light and probed the injectors and there getting power...

Quick Reply: no fire