New Plugs, New Wires, New Fuel Filter.....problem still occurs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Plugs, New Wires, New Fuel Filter.....problem still occurs.

A few weeks ago my car started jerking really bad when I would accelerate so I had new plugs and wires changed as well as the fuel filter. Found out the previous owner installed the wrong plugs. They were "Champion" plugs that I was told are for Dodges. Fuel filter was real bad, so after everything is installed, the jerking stopped.

But, before that happened, I noticed I would slowly lose power when going uphill or sometimes speeding on flat ground. I would be going 60mph and I swear it doesn't feel like 60. More like 40-50. And I have to floor it to get power/speed. If that makes any sense....

So, I also posted that there was a rattling/clicking noise under my hood. I put the car up on ramps and checked every where for that noise. Found out it's my catalytic converter. If you shake it a little or punch the bottom to make it move, something inside rattles. Like something rusted off/broke and the piece is vibrating/moving around inside.

So, is that a sign of a bad catalytic converter? (Losing power, jerks a little when going up hills) What are ways to test it to see if it's clogged?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Droid

Yes, your cat is bad and all loose junk inside is clogging up the exhaust. In worst case condition the stuff can get blown into the muffler and clogging it up also. Contrary to popular myth, back pressure does not increase power.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

champion makes plugs for everything, but theyre crap. what motor is in the car? and the rattling cat is a definate sign its broken up and clogging the exhaust. once replaced, you will feel what you would believe is a 50 hp increase

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28pete
Contrary to popular myth, back pressure does not increase power.
You just hadda, didn't you?
It doesn't work? Darn! Guess I'll just have to toss these potatoes on the grill instead then. I was all ready to give my exhaust a boost too.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

3.8l

thanks for the replies. I guess now I am going to have to look online for a new cat. I found 1 for 100 and one for 80. I don't mind paying some money because you get what you pay for. What are some good ones, or does it matter?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes a bad car will cause these problems. You should gut it. I gutted mine and it became faster than a v8 and i smoked a viper. vrm vrm VRM!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Overdrive Member

Get a stainless steel high-flow cat, such as a Magnaflow, if you want it to last...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Am I following this right? A bad cat may be causing the "jerking on acceleration"?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DrQuincy
Am I following this right? A bad cat may be causing the "jerking on acceleration"?

I don't know, that's why I was asking. I did the plugs/wires/fuel filter change and the severe jerking stopped. The jerking was so bad that I couldn't drive it because it barely had any power. But as of.....I'm going to say March-April the car would start to slowly "jerk" when going up hills. Not a severely major jerk like before I had that stuff changed. If I push the gas down a little or maybe half way, it'll do it. But when I have the pedal floored, it will stop. It sputters/jerks/ whatever you want to it call it. It doesn't make any noise when it does it, you can just feel the car "pushing" like it's trying to "gasp for air." That's exactly what it feels like. Try to gasp for quick breathes and that's how your body feels when you're driving it. Like a jerking movement. (I wish I was better at explaining things. lol)

I honestly have no idea what is causing it. I know the first few months after I got it, it never did it. My main concern that it might be the tranny slipping, but after researching, I don't think that is it.

Last edited by Brayan99; 06-30-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, I forgot to mention that it doesn't happen all the time. Some days it'll do it real bad, then some days it won't do it at all.

Quick Reply: New Plugs, New Wires, New Fuel Filter.....problem still occurs.