New paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I Like to Party
Red face New paint job

So Ive had my eye set on a black paint job for my 95 camaro because when I bought it the clear coat and base coat was coming off of the hood and front of the car but everywhere else was fine(silver) How much would a straight black paint job from maaco or elsewhere (preferably cheapish need to conserve for college)? I was thinking on just getting a carbon fiber hood and car bra and call it a day to cover the paint since the rest of the car was fine but some opinions would be nice. Would a paint job be cheaper and worth it more? I was wanting to go for the black out look like my sig.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I Like to Party

**New paint job?
or
**Keep it silver and get a new hood and car bra?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear member

You can get an acceptable paint job for around $1200 if you look around.
You can get crap for $500 to $800. Dont get a scuff and shoot. It will look like crap,
fall off, and hurt the value of your car.

Remember a really good paint job is $3000 or more.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

if you take and do all the prep work then the paintjob wont matter so much, remember that's where most of the money should go, now of course paint is expensive but the places get discounts and the reason maaco and such are cheap is that they use cheaper paint and they don't prep well at all, its just the breaks.
long story short, for best job prep the car yourself and get a cheap paint job, and always go primer paint clear instead of primer and all in one paint.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

I strongly advise staying away from maaco...never heard a good story from them yet

Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I did one on my first car. Removed everything, did all the prep work myself and put on junk wheels. Only a few drips on the car, but you do get what you pay for.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
4th Gear Member

did anyone pay attention to the OP that he wants to CHANGE colors from silver to black and then asks about getting it done INEXPENSIVELY

let's see

wants to change the color of the car

he wants to go with black which is the toughest color to shoot as it is unforgiving and shows everything

wants it cheap

to the OP- you need to change your wants because they don't match up.

when you get that nice new black paint what parts of the car will you accept still being silver? Perhaps the door jambs? Maybe the inside edges of the doors? How about under the fenders which you can see when the doors are opened

is silver under the hood OK?

is it ok to see silver when you lift the rear hatch?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I Like to Party

I dont mind any of the inside being silver only the outside I want black chill they were only trying to help out >_> What wants would I need to change? Sand the outside and put prime,base,and clear? What do you mean it's "Unforgiving and shows everything"? It's the darkest color in the color prism o_O

Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4thGen4Lyfe
I dont mind any of the inside being silver only the outside I want black chill they were only trying to help out >_> What wants would I need to change? Sand the outside and put prime,base,and clear? What do you mean it's "Unforgiving and shows everything"? It's the darkest color in the color prism o_O
you are not going to do a decent color change to black for under $3000. The key word is decent.

You say that you could live with silver showing but don't forget, some day you will want to sell it and if I were the potential buyer, I'd deduct big time for it. Also, it just looks like crud when people do that.

You can get away with going from maroon to red or vice versa but not silver to black. You need to do the door jambs and hatch interior, underneath the hood and as much of the engine bay as possible. That all means more labor and more $$$$$

Black shows every single stinking imperfection on the body while white is the most forgiving

black shows orange peel the best along with any drips. You must do black perfectly or it looks like crap.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM

The cost of paint went up due to oil and other BS, personally If you like the look, get a CF hood and remove the front bumper, sand it down and take it to a good paint booth and have them paint it OE silver for a few hundred. If you want to paint the entire car, save up some cash, and call around and get some quotes. I got a quote for my car for 1200, if I did all the prep work they would repaint all the exterior the same color which is OE black (I have t-tops and all the interior paint is very good). Plain black and white are the two cheapest colors to spray when none metallic. We have a dodge dealership near me that has an extremely good, state of the art body shop and white or black usually runs under 2k with prep work on a car our size.

Quick Reply: New paint job