new here need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Default new here need opinions

Im new here and i am looking into buying a 95 camaro 5.7l v8 i found one with 104000 miles in perfect shape just that it kind of lags when u stomp on the gas it might just need a tune up and the t tops might leak i have to look into that he wants 6,000 do u thing anything around that price would be good for the car any advice would be great thanks and it is also my first car

Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

some of it depends on were your at. ive heard of some going at that price but with less miles. ask if its been scanned for trouble codes. if so and he has some codes write em down and look em up and/or let us know what they are. for a 95 it seems high to me. look around see whats in your area maybe offer 4 and keep looking for a while. i have noticed the prices for 4th gens seem to have jumped a tadd but theres still some pretty good deals out there.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by craby
some of it depends on were your at. ive heard of some going at that price but with less miles. ask if its been scanned for trouble codes. if so and he has some codes write em down and look em up and/or let us know what they are. for a 95 it seems high to me. look around see whats in your area maybe offer 4 and keep looking for a while. i have noticed the prices for 4th gens seem to have jumped a tadd but theres still some pretty good deals out there.

ok thank you but the car is in prestine condition and it also have the corvette z06 rims on it with the eagle zr1 tires which the tires alone come out 2 a grand for all and there aRE 18s in the back an 17s in the front/

Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Check out the value on a site like kelley blue book or auto trader to get an idea of what similar cars are selling for in your area. I also agree with craby to look into stored codes (you don't want to buy someone else's problem) & also see if the seller will take less. That sounds a little steep for a 95, at least in my area.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM
4th Gear Member

I see that you posted this

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/insurance-50723/

where you seem concerend about insurance prices (do a search because there is an entire thread about that already) and Daddy may want to consider LIABILITY before adding you to his policy. Liability is the most expensive part of the insurance and extra expensive when you have inexperienced drivers and worse, when they are male. The type of vehicle does not matter. Just turn on the tv, you can't hide from the ads for lawyers asking if you've been in an accident. In this economy, feigning injuries becomes more commonplace to obtain $$$ from an insurance company. If Dad only has 50/100, then he is exposed big time. I suggest at least $1/2 million liability because young drivers causing accidents are a nice juicy target for a lawyer of the "injured"

Now, to the vehicle, it seems as if someone is leading with emotion.

How would you like

a 95Z
Z06 rims
275 40's all around
rebuilt engine
rebuilt trany
rebuilt rear end
excellent exterior
excellent interior
Bose system
pacesetter long tubes
off road y
magnaflow
1.6 rr's
custom tuned

runs like a top and needs no work what so ever, no sputters, no leaks etc

If I could get $6k I'd feel like I was robbing someone; by the way, it's not for sale.

a 95 that sputters and the seller wants $6k....bless his heart because he's $2k too expensive

and don't use KBB for values. That is proposed retail price

Edmunds and nadaguide are more real but the market is depressed so the car is worth only what someone is willing to pay.

good luck and if you can't "tune up" the car yourself, be prepared to spend $500 just for plugs and wires. if you've never tried to get to a spark plug on a 4th gen, I suggest that you try. If the problem is more than just plugs and wires, you could be spending some $$$

In other words, after make ready work, the $6k car could actually cost you $7k or more.