new help w/97 camaro I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new help w/97 camaro I just bought

ok just picked up my camaro today from were i bought it, it idles great doesnt smoke or lose any fluids, however I noticed after driving it today the check engine light came on, i took it to autozone and codes were the mass air flow sensor and muliple misfires, car with not accel more then 3k and tumbles. Please any help would be great.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well the accel and trembling problem deff sound like the mass air sen specifically what about the mass air as for the misfire code is it a random misfire or like a misfire on 3 diff cyl V6-V8 it may be time to replace the mass air sen did you get the car at a dealer or private and what did you pay for it

this is what i get for the mass assuming its a 3.8
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry i forgot to mention its a v6 3.8 and it was a private sell. Im honestly not mad about anywork it needs.
Also I just went out side to start the car again and I think the alternator is dead, it wont start and the battery its almost dead, I know if amps are low and alternators are about to go, it will mess with the ecu and mess things up.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well im a mechanic and you deff have the symptoms of a bad maf as for the low volts i dont think it would make the car run like that any chance you noticed the bat gauge the last time it was running can you get it jumped if so get it running and disconnect the battery if it stalls its a bad alt if it runs its the battery now this is by no means a definite test just a good home assumption but what ever you do make sure the car isnt running when you hook the batter back up you could fck up everything

actually id disconnect the battery and hook jumpers up to the battery cables that way you can make sure you dont send a serge thru the system

Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks man, ill try that once my wifey gets home. as for the misfires ill probably take out the spark plugs and watch for spark.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

and check to see if you have fouled plugs and also check the gap but be warned getting to the plugs is a major pain in the *** i believe you need to get the #4 plug from underneath (pass side middle plug) but im still thinking that a bad maf can cause misfires

i just got a ford explorer into the shop that wouldnt accel and was throwing P0171 (maf code) and a P0300 code (random cyl misfire) i threw a new maf in and everything is good the truck runs great well as good as a ford can run

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

lol yeah im alittle ahead of you bud, i already replaced the plugs and YES THE BIGGEST PAIN!!!!! took 3 hours, and the rear plug i did from top however it put up a pretty good fight and the gaps is 0.60. that sensor is gonna hurt the pocket though, wife is already pissed about the tune up. But I always give a tune up to the cars I buy. Thanks again man ill let you know if the alternator is good or bad.

and btw tomorrow replacing valve cover gaskets, will that be a pain too?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

youll be ok as long as you have some general automotive knowledge just make sure everything goes back the way it came out but on a scale of 1-10 10 being call the mechanic id give valve cover gaskets like a 2 but if the wife is upset just let her know that the tune up the maf and the valve cover gaskets would have cost like 400 at a shop (at least that what id charge and everyone says im cheep)

btw your car looks great

Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah ive been working on cars for 10 years and its so much fun (sometimes, and depends lol)
I put my vote in

Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

thanx buddy

Quick Reply: new help w/97 camaro I just bought