New guy, should I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New guy, should I go for it?

Hey guys, first time poster here.

Let me just say that I have always loved the camaro and an opportunity has come up for me to get one at what seems like a good price, just looking for a few opinions, and hopefully will become a regular user if I end up getting the car. Its a 1994 z28 with 144,000kms, overall good shape, a few small paint chips but no body rust at all. He was originally asking $3400 on the sign but his wife posted it for sale online for $2500 (canadian) and being a good guy he told me he would honour that price. Like I said the car is in good shape, never seen winter since he had it, it needs a muffler but thats not a big deal to me at all. He also said it has trouble starting sometimes but when he started it for me it fired right up. I took it for a drive and loved it, lots of power, seemed to shift well and ran great, the AC even worked pretty well. Should I be concerned about the startup issue? Basically just wondering if I should go for it, Im going to see it again in a few days to make my decision, are there any other problem areas I should look for?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

auto trans? can you elaborate on trouble starting? like does it take a while to start or does it sometimes not crank?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds fair to me. I paid $2660. for my 93 Z28. I feel my deal was exceptional because of a huge list of recent new parts (MSD opti, plugs and wires included) with receipts and all fluids being freshly changed.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah sorry should have given some details, he said it just cranks and takes a while to fire, revved up a bit when he first started it but then settled down and ran strong. Its the auto trans aswell.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like a weak fuel pump or an obstruction in the fuel system, either way i think you found a killer deal. id jump on it.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Can you work on cars? Your looking at a 18 year old vehicle. The 94's are unique in that they have this weird OBD thing that takes a certain kind of scanner. Jumping the pins like an OBDI wont work and an OBDII scanner wont work. I am a recent owner of a 94 Z28. I paid $3500 US for mine with 180,000 miles. Be prepared to work on some stuff. You familiar with the optispark? If not, do some googling. I dont regret my purchase at all. I cant drive mine right now because it has the AC delete and it's like 100 here every day. Mines got decent paint, a new interior, brakes and suspension. $2500 sounds like a good deal, but just be ready to work on some stuff.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I do enjoy working on cars and am fairly mechanically inclined however I know nothing when it comes to computer/maps/tunes and all that stuff. Ive done some reading and some people say fuel system, some say mass air, some say they need a tune up. I think I'm going to go for it as a lot of similar camaro's in the area, with the same or higher milage are in the 5-7 thousand dollar range. 2Z'z your camaro looks great for $2660, I guess thats american but still sounds like a good deal. Im going to see it again on monday, if I end up buying it I will be sure to post pictures.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heck yah 2500 for a big boy toy. ask the guy if its been scanned recently. if so what codes came up. might ask to take to shop to have a diognostic done on er. if you buy should do that anyways.