New Car! Questions. lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear member
Default New Car! Questions. lol

Hey guys. I went out with the soon to be wife today, and snagged a car so that the camaro can be her daily driver. It's a 97 Trans Am LT1 6 speed with Ttops, and pacesetter headers. It has 170k on the dial but a rebuilt LT1 was put in 50k ago. (I can tell it's been replaced, but he didn't have documentation, oh well.)

There's a couple problems with it. When really ******* her, it feels like the tranny is bobbing up and down? And there's a really small oil leak. I left her sitting for 30 minutes and when I moved the car there was a spot about the size of a half dollar. (in what I would assume is the middle of the engine bay.) She's skipping a bit, but there's a spark plug wire that's touched the headers, so I figured that would be a good bet. The last thing I can nit pick about is a piece missing from the drivers side-skirt.

I'm really happy with the jump from a 3.4 auto, but some guidance would be nice. haha. Will get some pictures soon. Any advice on where to start with the oil leak would be great. And honestly I'd like to know what you guys would have paid for it.

Edit: It also has power locks and windows, but no key fob for keyless entry.. did they release cars like this, or did the dude lose it?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your trany mount, dont just look at it, you need to support the trans and take the crossmember lose to tell if its broke. leak could be the front or rear of the intake. that area seem to be a spot where a bad seal is common.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
check your trany mount, dont just look at it, you need to support the trans and take the crossmember lose to tell if its broke. leak could be the front or rear of the intake. that area seem to be a spot where a bad seal is common.
Thanks for the reply Craby. I haven't gotten to check out the tranny mount yet, but I did crawl under with a flashlight, and there's oil everywhere. I've left it sitting for a day now, and there's really not much that has dripped on to the ground. I drove it an hour from Sc to my house and she was fine.

Something to worry about?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure sounds like it could be the rear intake is leaking. not a big deal just messy and you have to add oil when it gets low.