new to the camaro world

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Default new to the camaro world

So had an impuls buy bbought a 96 3.8 camaro t-tops for 900 $ test drove fine on the way home my irish came out blew head gasket and cracked the head gotnthat fixed with a tune up for another 900 so as is I got 1800 in it and a few issues
1 when driving it feels like the trans mount is busted because it rattles a bit when shifts. Does that sound right?

2when I hit rough road it sounds like a loud thud in the back passenger side any ideas where to start with that?
And last is the old camaro problem I know POWER WINDOWS! Thimking about down grading toncrank jk is there a way to do the direct wire without the kit because I have easy access to electrical componets for free (electrical student) if any help I will be very thankful

Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Transmission mounts are common issues and could be bad. It is a simple install.

Rattle can be almost anything. You are going to have to get under there and look for what is loose. Improper exhaust install or a broken hanger would be the most common issue.

What is wrong with the windows?? For slow or dying motors there is no easy work around. The motors need replaced. If you are having issues with your body control module there is a thread in the FAQ on how to repair the issue without replacing anything.

Second post Item 11
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38462/

Last edited by Gorn; 07-02-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you suspect the trans mount is bad, check it and change it if it's bad. Depending on what type of road jumps you're taking, the thud you hear could be the rear of the trans hopping on you.
Or, could also be your spare tire might be laying loose (not bolted down) and jumping around in the well.
For the sluggish window, I presume you're referring to this fix of the cars passenger side electrical deficiency: AutoTrix :: Passenger Window Fix Kit
However, if you have a sluggish drivers side window, figure on it being the motor.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Yes imngoing to start there with the rattle then progress on. And with the wimdows driver side works good just got to get better panel pices that the switches fit in (looks like it was attempted fix by a retard with a screw driver and glue) the passenger side moves very slow and stops working all together about an inch at a time. I have found a lot of this forum very helpful already and will learn a lot off this site.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you got coolant in the oil when head gasket went you would be better off picking up a low mile series3 3.8 for the camaro.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Go-Stop wait a few Go-Stop is a sign of a dead window motor. It is a fairly easy fix you just need a large rivit gun (like $25 at Harbor Freight) and a new regulator or just a motor what ever you have the money for. Dorman makes the regulator with motor and A1 Cardone makes a good rebuilt motor if you only want to do the motor. Either way you need to remove the regulator to get the job done.

Massey

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Power Window Motor I used this to help me replace my window motors. I didn't have to remove the regulators.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM

First problem it is indead the transmission mount that pice is mangled going to get the new part today and replace lol thanks to looking through the form I could suspect that part first and they have two window motors on order for me too and the cool guy at my local napa is giving me his discount on parts because hes a camaro owner his self and understands the powerwindow problems

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The power deficiency on the passenger side is what wears the motor out before it's time. And that wiring fix, as shown, can bring the operation back to life by helping to prevent the loss of power which causes the motor to overheat (which is why it stops). Have you ever wondered why the passenger side window, that gets much less use on average than the drivers side does, is more often than not the one to go first? You might want to consider upgrading the wiring to keep the new motor operating like new, so it doesn't go down the same path the old one did. I would have started with fixing the electrical first myself, before opening the doors up, as the motor may or may not have needed to be replaced after that.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Yea ill probly do the wiring at the same time I got the motors really cheap with the napa guys discount and im working on getting the wiring kit and just dobit all at once and if the kit works I can always sell the motors to my step father he has a camaro parts barn lol its like everything you need to build a car except title

Quick Reply: new to the camaro world