Need professional opinions plz!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Default Need professional opinions plz!!

Wats up everyone im new to the forums and i signed up for one reason...i need fellow chevy ryders' opinions and suggestions for making my SS a beast, but not overdoing it...so let me begin
Im only 20 so im not really and expert on mechanics but i do kno a little..
i been to the race track with my car many times and kno how to race it.

Ok i have a 2001 SS T-tops with about 45k original miles...i dont think the color or rims are any significance

The only mods are:
SLP loudmouth exhaust
SLP Cold Air Intake System
Underdrive Pulley
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS 285 ZR17 brand new 95% tread left

My best current track time without slicks is 13.268 after these mods and i want to break the 11s but ill be satisfied with low 12s...now my question is What can i add to my muscle to achieve this goal? im not entirely sure what to add.
I have a few things i dont want to do...first i dont want it to be faster than 11.5 cuz then i have to add a roll cage..second i dont want swap engines or anything, i want the original 346 LS1 in it, finally my budget can not exceed $3000 w/o labor
With those in mind i began to put some things together..feel free to erase any mods or change them on this list

My mod list (feel free to change or add things)

Supercharger/turbocharger- Which one is better and what else do i need to change in the car to support these i.e. suspension, rear end etc.

sub frame connectors- i heard this was essential to modify

Mass air flow sensor- also heard was essential for a car over 400hp

Heads/cam- are heads the same as headers?? wats an ideal lift for my cam?..i dont want the car to be shutting off tho. And wat do ihave to change to support the heads and cam...can i just do heads/cam without the Supercharger or vice versa?

Oh and lastly i dont want any nitrous, i want all motor.

Thanx to everyone in advance...i need all the advice i can get

Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Need professional opinions plz!!

You should invest on a book on how to modify an LS1 and 4th gen Camaros. Got to know the basics first.
http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com...9848&itm=1

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com...4402&itm=2

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com...4077&itm=3

Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Member

6 speed or auto? If your an auto you can do it pretty easy. You could duplicate my setup for about $3-3500 and run 11's N/A

Old 04-15-2007, 12:40 AM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

[quote]ORIGINAL: DarkLotus006

First off let me say that your definition of "beast" is a little off.What you want to do will make your car faster that alot of whats on the road, but on this board and other boards like ls1tech.com and camaroz28.com .... so many are running10's and 9's ...beast has a new meaning. [8D] There are bolt on only cars thatare running mid 11's but it depends what you want. So hereis my OPINION as to what you should do, but first I will cover your questions.

Supercharger/turbocharger- Which one is better and what else do i need to change in the car to support these i.e. suspension, rear end etc.
Umm....any of these 2 things used will run youover 3k used and4k-6k new, plus you will need to get all of the supporting bolts ons. So NO to this

sub frame connectors- i heard this was essential to modify
I would, and get UMI's for under $200 from ebay. Or pay a little more for BMR's either way you can't go wrong.

Mass air flow sensor- also heard was essential for a car over 400hp
Not really,there are tons of carsrunning well over 450rwhp on stockand screened MAF's I would opt out if you will hit about 500rwhp or more which is not really your goal

Heads/cam- are heads the same as headers?? wats an ideal lift for my cam?..i dont want the car to be shutting off tho. And wat do ihave to change to support the heads and cam...can i just do heads/cam without the Supercharger or vice versa?
Forget the supercharger! Heads are Cylinder heads and headers replace stock exhaust manifolds. They are the tubes that the exaust comes out of and should be one of the top mods to do. For what you want you will need Headers but not heads since stock LS1 heads flow pretty well.

In addition to what you have I would get:

Longtube headers - Pacesetters (about $500 shipped with Ypipe)are good easy to install and ceramic coated(about 20-25rwhp)

Cam ($380 or so) -There are tons of choices, butThunder Racing, Texas Speed and Performance,Futural Motorsports are some of the top places and I would recommend a 224/224 -228/228range withnumbers similar to these: .580/.580 - .595/.598. If you want a smooth almost stock idle then get a cam on a 114 LSA if you want it to sound rough and choppy like a classic muscle car then get a 112 LSA. Cams offer a wide variety of power but the ones mention above with your set up should net you 40-55rwhp depending on what you get.

Agood computer tune ($150-$450 just depends where you get it from) and get it done after cam install. (About 10-15rwhp or so)

Ls2 Timing chain($35-$40) to be done at time of cam install and isstrong than the stock ls1 and is really needed to go with that cam.

Lower Control Arms ($150-$300) Get some UMI, sphon's or Hotchkis. These will prevent hop and keep traction to help your times.

Ported TB ($125-$200) A well portedthrottle body will compliment your your headers and cam. and can add5-10rwhp or so.

LS6 intake- ($200-$450) this ties everything together, the LS6 is far superior and was stock on the 01-02 models. You can find them used for sale in a lot of forums or on Ebay. New is about $450. (about 10-15rwhp)

Even if you spend the higher amounts of all of the above the total is only about 2k you still have 1k left for things

Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 AM

Thanx everyone, you guys have been extremely helpful....so do i already have a LS6 intake on my 01 SS??

Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it's an 01 yes you do! Which is even more money you're gonna save since now you don't have to buy it. Mate it up with the ported TB I mentioned and you'll be good to go. Don't be temped to buy a new a ported that's done right will flow the same or better #'s and save you a couple of hundred bucks. BTW, You also have the Z06 clutch which came on 01's and 02's.

Just do alot of research here, and around other forums and shops before you make a BIG investment. Really though for what you want I think the only decision that will be tough will be on which cam to get.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Zoilus, since i have an 02 and from what you said about it having a ZO6 clutch, should i change it when i do my heads and cam? Or is it gonna be strong enough to handle the extra power without slipping?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: o2camaross

Zoilus, since i have an 02 and from what you said about it having a ZO6 clutch, should i change it when i do my heads and cam? Or is it gonna be strong enough to handle the extra power without slipping?
Mine held OK when I was at 400 rwhp, remember though that a 6 speed car+400 rwhp+sticky tires=broken 10 bolt rear end.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah JD im saving for a moser 9 inch right now, Im gonna get it bafore i do the heads and cam. I was thinking about getting 4:11's since the heads and cam will give me power up top and i wouldn't have as much down low. Is this a good idea?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your clutch can hold up. BUT the question is how long. If I was going to make up to 425rwhp I would keep it. But if you are going more than that, then yeah, I would invest in another one, because people will tell you that they run 450+hp on it, but it's just a matter of time before it goes. So if you have the cash or the time to wait a little longer to put the money together to get it done with the heads and cam, then just wait. If you are breaking that 400rwhp barrier it will not hurt to get it done. And you will benefit from it either way.

and JD is 100% on the money about that rear end. Hell I have seen bolt on only cars break'em with sticky tires.

Quick Reply: Need professional opinions plz!!