Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I Like to Party
Default Need a little help

I know there is already a 'Car wont start' thread but my situation is a little different. I bought some engine degreaser and protectant. I covered up the battery and the spark wires with a plastic bag. I sprayed the degreaser and situated my new headunit into the car while I was waiting on the degreaser to break down the dirt etc. about 30 mins i wash all the dirt off, dry it etc. and when I tried to start the car is would give a stuttering sound while the interior lights dimmed and flickered with no start. I thought it was the battery but I turned the key to battery only (When the radio comes on etc.) and it worked fine but when I turned it to start it the lights flickered and the ignition was stuttering again. I had my 'check gauge' light on (I wouldnt let fuel get that low but my fuel gauge doesnt work) so could it just be low fuel?no fuel? I didnt think the fuel connected to the interior lights flickering.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I Like to Party

Ok now the interior lights are dimming and some dont come and when i try to start it i dont even hear a sound. Could it be a dead/dying battery?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You got something wet that you didn't want to. Did you also cover up the alternator? You don't want to hose that down with water. You may have shorted out the alternator internally, or it may be something ignition related that you got wet and is shorting out. Do you have an air compressor? It would be a good thing to blow off any water you have sitting to hopefully dry off whatever might be shorting out, and before water causes corrosion and makes matters worse.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I Like to Party

Daaaaamn No I dont have a compressor, I'll go out and look for any standing water on anything. I'l check the alternator as well

Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

An internal short with the alternator will drain the battery. I would disconnect the positive cable on the battery for now, before something bad happens, if it hasn't already. You didn't answer though, did you cover the alternator with plastic too?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I Like to Party

Yeah I got the alternator wet. I dried any water I could see so should I wait until everything is fully dry? I know it charges the battery so is the battery dead now?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I Like to Party

Just tried to start it again before I disconnected the red. The lights work again but they still flicker and I still hear clicking when I try to start it

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I sort of responded on another thread of yours. But never use water on the front end, there are too many things that could go wrong and get wet which could effect your engine and components, such as what you're facing now. Work slow on the front end using multiple rags for cleaner and dry towels and wipe things down. Or slowly work in an area and protect all the components/parts etc when you're spraying cleaner. Better to be slow and cautious then to have something like this happen.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like the battery may have drained on you. How about a battery charger, have one of those? Or someone to give you a jump start. You want to make sure you have a good charge on the battery to rule that out, or in. Still keep the cable disconnected until you try to start it again. I take it you don't have an air compressor? You could take a hair dryer to the alternator and help it dry out. I wouldn't just "wait" for it to dry off.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I Like to Party

I held a blow dryer to hit for awhile, I only got it wet because I wanted a clean engine, was tired of seeing so much grime. I thought I covered what I needed to cover but sadly I was wrong and now i'm paying the price. I hope the alternator is fully dry but I dont want to try and start it just to be safe. I hope this sht clears out >.< I'm going to see if I cant jump or charge it tomorrow