need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Default need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow

As some of you may know, I have been on the look out for a camaro. Well, I found a nice car, but it's a 97 trans am. I am wondering, what is one in good condition worth? All stock with t-tops. Guy says he bought it in Florida (we live in CT) and drove it up here because he does work in FL. It has 110k on it and says he's made 5 trips to florida with it. I figure a trans am is basically a z28, or am I wrong? Is there anything Specific I should look for tomorrow? What would you say it's worth? Can anyone help with with talking prices or looking at specific parts or asking questions? It's a 6 speed too, I believe a 350 in it (since it's stock and that's what I have seen online). I'd appreciate any help guys thank you.

-Billy

I forgot to mention he said the front right headlights busted and he put tape in between the door and quarter panel? cuz the door was sagging and he didnt want it to hurt the car, he said he fixed the sag in the dorr but never took off the tape fearing it'd take off paint.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well, to start, what is his asking price?

You are correct, It's basically a Z28 other than a few hundred pounds.

Opti-Spark on the LT-1 seems to be a common failure point.

Do you have any photos?

Last edited by GMDCAMARO; 09-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM

He's asking $4500. What do you mnean by Opti-Spark are the LT-1 seems to be a common failure point?'

Attached Thumbnails need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow-trans-am-1.jpg   need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow-trans-am-2.jpg   need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow-trans-am-3.jpg   need insight on car i'm going to see tomorrow-trans-am-4.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Price is about par for the course,opti is the funky front mounted cam driven distributor on the LT1 & LT4 motors that is sometimes problematic and hard to get at being mounted behind the cam driven waterpump.
Goof Off will take that tape off without hurting the paint.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

those pics are also 98 or newer. 97 had the more square headlights. I have a 97 t/a.

I would guess the price to be at least $6K, that $4500 seems more like a v6 price to me.

I paid 4100 for my auto 97 with a messed up tranny and some emission issues that will be pricey to fix. all said and done with all that fixed I'll prolly be in the $6K ballpark.

on another note, the interior of the t/a is much nicer (more neat stuff like the extra cup holder that folds in under the radio, better vents, etc) and seems to be a little better put together than the z28. less rattle noises, all the electrical works (which I had alot of probs with on my camaro) and the factory gauges are a little cooler, etc.

the exterior could be argued, the camaro is a little less flashy on the exterior but that can be changed. I like the looks of the t/a more, but I could be biased.

Last edited by stealthy95z; 09-04-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the Trans Am better myself too, I was hoping I could find one when I bought my Z. If those pics are of the car you're buying, and it runs good, I say go for it. Sounds like a good deal, the mileage isn't bad, and most importantly to me, it's a 6 speed. Heck, if he's asking 4500, you may be able to walk away with it for 4200 or so if you have cash to lay in his hand. That would be a heckuva deal I think.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blender345
As some of you may know, I have been on the look out for a camaro. Well, I found a nice car, but it's a 97 trans am. I am wondering, what is one in good condition worth?

Torque- what you are willing to pay for it

All stock with t-tops. Guy says he bought it in Florida (we live in CT) and drove it up here because he does work in FL.

Torque- Carfax will confirm that

It has 110k on it and says he's made 5 trips to florida with it. I figure a trans am is basically a z28, or am I wrong? Is there anything Specific I should look for tomorrow?

Torque- are you a serious cash in hand buyer or a tire kicker? if serious, do not start it up at first. Walk around the car and visual inspect. Open all the doors and close them. Do they lift up or drop when they are being closed? If so, signs of a collision and bad repair. How are the tires? Open the hood, reach way in the back and feel for leaks from the rear of the intake manifold.

slide under the front and look for any telltale oil or antifreeze drip from the front of the motor near the waterpump. That would be signs of a bad waterpump or leaky oil seal

while down there, eyeball the spark plug wires

now look under the hood, how is that condition?

finally, fire it up and get up to 30 mph and take your hands off the wheel, how does it track? firmly apply the brakes, any pulling or is there a lot of pedal travel?

How is the clear coat?

Make sure both windows go up and down. check the headlights that they open and close

What would you say it's worth?

Torque- it's up to you because you are the buyer.

Can anyone help with with talking prices or looking at specific parts or asking questions? It's a 6 speed too, I believe a 350 in it (since it's stock and that's what I have seen online). I'd appreciate any help guys thank you.

-Billy

I forgot to mention he said the front right headlights busted and he put tape in between the door and quarter panel? cuz the door was sagging and he didnt want it to hurt the car, he said he fixed the sag in the dorr but never took off the tape fearing it'd take off paint.

and to your last paragraph, those are called "red flags" (if you don't understand the saying then ask a parent)

It seems that you are emotionally invested in this purchase. When that occurs you need to bring one of the most important items with you; a parent or uncle who has no emotional attachment to getting "the right car" and will help you see the real car, not the car you want to see.

Do not bring a friend who is all excited about it as well. The best sale of one of my cars I ever made was to a kid who brought along his friend. I just wanted to get rid of the car to make room for another one and they were more interested in the sound of the exhaust than negotiating a price.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks guys, I went to take a look and his story changed every 10 minutes. first the guy he bought it from had it painted, then he had it painted. His girlfriend went up a curb on it and the plastic under the dorr got ripped off a little. Stealthy95z hit the nail right on the head, he said the guy he bought it from also had a 98 firebird that crached and he put some of the stuff from the fbird to the t/a. I appreicate everyones help, and torque I didn't get to read what you said until after but that is very helpful. I did bring my brother (who was of no help) and was not going to buy it on the spot. If I liked it I would have gone back tomorrow with my uncle (who is a mazda mechanic) to take a look and double check everything. He told me straight out he'd even take trade in value in cash for it. Torque at first I did take offense to the "ask a parent" about the red flag thing, but I totally agree with you about bringing someone. I try to be smart with my money and won't jump on anything until I have a list checked off. I was excited, but knew that if it isn't what I want I am not going to buy it (as I originally wanted a camaro, even a 3.8l thinking insurance would be cheaper but the trans am woulda been under 2k a year, whereas I'm paying a little over 2k in my olds alero). Anyways I totally appreciate it guys and am assuming the red flag thingy from torque wasn't trying to call me a little kid or something.

Also, he kept talking about how he had mustangs and camaro's before and just sold some, it seemed like he buys up cars to do some body work, pay his friend (who works at a body shop) money to paint it for $200 and then sell em. He was a pretty honest guy but in the beginning he was lying and some of the truth came out little by little. Probably not all of it but oh well. Again, I thank you guys for the help and quick responses, I know I am new here but I am looking forward to learning a lot. Thanks again guys, I am sure there will be more posts like this looking for help (even though I know some of the things to ask and look for based on this post).

Last edited by Blender345; 09-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

on another note, the interior of the t/a is much nicer (more neat stuff like the extra cup holder that folds in under the radio, better vents, etc) and seems to be a little better put together than the z28. less rattle noises, all the electrical works (which I had alot of probs with on my camaro) and the factory gauges are a little cooler, etc.

We have all that stuff in the camaro interior like the cup holder thingy. I agree I like the look of the T/A better too, but that extra couple hundred pounds slowed it down and I didn't want that so I opted out.