Need help with 96 Z28 PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Default Need help with 96 Z28 PLEASE!

Hey guys, I hope you can help me. I have a 96 Z28, it has a shift kit (don't know what brand) and it shifts hard in 2nd gear. I have had the car for 2 or 3 year now and everything has been fine. Yesterday it started making a banging noise when it shifts into second gear. You can REALLY feel it in the floorboard. it is coming from the back. It feel like I ran over something and it hit the bottom of the floorboard underneath. It is really load. Seems to only do it when it shifts. Although I did power stall it in drive and just before tire spin it does it, but not quite as bad. I checked the rear shocks and they are fine. Everything else is pretty much stock.
I would appreciate any help. Don't know where to start looking. I figure its in the rearend chunk, but not sure. Any suggestions

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds to me like your transmission mount is shot...look into that.

also, i'm going to move this thread to the 4th gen section...you'll get a lot more traffic there!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Thank you, I'll check that

Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Hey thanks Whammer3024. You were exactly right. The Tranny mount was split in half. thank you VERY much. You saved me hours of frustration. By the way, nice Chevy II. I have a 67 also. I love em'. This forum is great guys..........

Old 05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

glad you got it figured out! the 67 is actually my dad's. i love cruising around town with him. we get lots of looks.

glad you're enjoying your stay here! feel free to ask any question you may have and make you're way to the lounge sometime to get to know the people on a more personal level!