My true duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default My true duals

The one thing (besides wheel package) that the previous owner did to the Camaro I bought was put true duals and headers on it.

Headers, true duals with glasspacks (dumped). No mufflers, no cats. I have inspected everything else on the car to see what else he could have done to it and that seems ot be it. Anyways, I looked under the car many times and it seems to have O2 sims on it, right after the headers. I pull no codes and everythnig runs perfect.

The only thing is, on a load, I get a knocking-ish sound from the drivers side engine area. weather doesnt effect it, just how much of a load (I actually cant hear it by myself, but if I have weight in the car, aka a passenger or more (the more the worse it is) I hear it.

It does not sound like an exhaust/header leak (I've heard many of them.. but could it be a header leaking? its on one side (it seems) from the interior, so its hard to pinpoint it while in the drivers seat).

I also heard putting true duals cancels out somethnig called EGR, AIR sensor, etc... And I heard the AIR pipe if messed up can cause a knock/ticking sound? What do these do?

It seems to be fine but thats all I want to see if I can figure it out. It does not sound like a tick, but does not sound like a engine knock... It's kind of in between.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default RE: My true duals

I may be paranoid, but I just like knowing EVERYTHING done to a car. Once I find out if somethnig he did with the exhaust might cause this I'll be fine, as after that I'll know everything I've done and what I've changed. I learned a lot about F-bodies so far (it is my first) and am loving it. However this has been on my mind even though it seems to be ok.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 AM
4th Gear Member

mine does that when imin reverse.. Is it a thumping? Can u feel the vibrations from it under ur feet? If so its the exhuast hitting the control arm. probably just a poor weld job.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Are the headers long tube or shorties? Basically, were are the exhaust pipes running, stock location(both of them)?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
April 2008 ROTM

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not sure if they are shorties or not (I think they are.) I may ask the guy I bought it from.

Luckily I took pics when I had my car on my friends lift to install the skip shift eliminator a month or so ago just for fun. They are not the best but it might help you guys out!

But I'd say it is way more of a knocking than a ticking. Spartan, it doesn't really thump. Just under a large load, aka with people in the car (the more the worse it is) it happens. It actually doesn't happen when I am in the car by myself too much if at all (even at WOT)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...68342_6889.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...68345_7660.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...68349_8670.jpg

Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you might take a look at that clamp connecting the headers to pipes. it looks like it might have been leaking a little bit. sweet setup though, andi am pretty sure those are long tube headers.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: tyler2497

you might take a look at that clamp connecting the headers to pipes. it looks like it might have been leaking a little bit. sweet setup though, and i am pretty sure those are long tube headers.
I thought they were long tubes as well. Too bad I have no idea what mnake they are. Everyone who looked at it when I lifted it commented on what a nice job it seemed to be.

I'll check thge clamps, how does it look like it may have a leak?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 AM
4th Gear Member

ok, because my "thumping" comes when i shift into reverse and when i shift into reverse my car sinks down alil bit it hasnt been doing it lately but i duno, guy said it was because he had to cut the pipes and reweld em after dropping a nut down the manifold causing them to bump the control arm in reverse.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 AM
April 2008 ROTM

I bet/am almost sure it has something to do with the headers (really doesn't sound like a leak). My engine mounts/tranny mounds are kind of weak, as the stocks ones are.

But it may be the control arm since it happens with weight in the car (hence lowering the ride hieght.)

It for sure is coming from the drivers site engine bay area, aka where the headers are around

And PS Spartan, we should meet up sometime just to kick it and talk cars.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah bro we should! My car is down in Federal Way right now at my mechanics shop... im waiting for him to call me back with info about my key.

Quick Reply: My true duals