My latest error

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My latest error

So I recently did the intake manifold gasket due to an oil leak, opti due to well.. it being an opti.. heater core, swapped radiators, valve cover gaskets, injector o rings, couple sensors, opti seal wp seal.. I was busy. The one thing that absolutely amazed me is that somehow I managed to get 2 gallons of rainwater in the engine.. cause I went to change the oil and seriously a TON of water came out first. LOL. Drained out and no problem there.

Anyways, she fires right up and halelujah! No leaks at any seals or gaskets! Ive got the bleed procedure on this car down pat

However, in replacing the heater core.. now my damn vents dont blow. Only out of the defrost vent and near the opening where the glovebox would be. I noticed that the vacuum check valve seems to be fine. As do the lines coming from it in all directions. With the blower on, theres a significant amount of air coming through the port where the heater core hoses connect AND near where the AC lines connect to the box on the passenger side. Mostly just seems to be blowing right at where the passengers feet would go. Any ideas?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:46 PM
4th Gear Member

could be you switch is bad

Old 09-26-2015, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ztwentyate
So I recently did the intake manifold gasket due to an oil leak, opti due to well.. it being an opti.. heater core, swapped radiators, valve cover gaskets, injector o rings, couple sensors, opti seal wp seal.. I was busy. The one thing that absolutely amazed me is that somehow I managed to get 2 gallons of rainwater in the engine.. cause I went to change the oil and seriously a TON of water came out first. LOL. Drained out and no problem there.

Anyways, she fires right up and halelujah! No leaks at any seals or gaskets! Ive got the bleed procedure on this car down pat

However, in replacing the heater core.. now my damn vents dont blow. Only out of the defrost vent and near the opening where the glovebox would be. I noticed that the vacuum check valve seems to be fine. As do the lines coming from it in all directions. With the blower on, theres a significant amount of air coming through the port where the heater core hoses connect AND near where the AC lines connect to the box on the passenger side. Mostly just seems to be blowing right at where the passengers feet would go. Any ideas?
Does it blow on the drivers feet too?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
could be you switch is bad
Or maybe didn't get plugged in right? When you turn the switch to vents does it stop blowing out the defrost and bottom?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

No when you turn the **** basically nothing changes at all. Just keeps randomly blowing there where the glove box would be. When I disconnected things, it was simply 3 different connections which Ill post pics of. Theres one 8 port connector with many multi colored wires all connecting up. Then another that attached to the heater core cover and had a small connector going to it. Then I removed this one orange wire which connects from that 8 port to the back of this one round thing that in the back of it, has some kind of lever that you can pull forward and back and is spring loaded so that if I push it back it and let go it resets to its original position. That spring loaded lever in the back of that round thing in the picture with the orange wire does make some kind of change to the way the air flows but I didnt notice any discernible change to the flow to from the vents.. I could just hear an audible change in the airflow. Im kinda stumped. I wouldnt doubt that I may have hooked something up wrong but I dont really know. Soon as I started this damn project I got bit by something on my ankle and developed a wicked cellulitis and I had to be off my feet for the better part of a week and my memory gets worse as time rolls by lol

Edit, ok actually I should say that the fan speed **** works fine, the hot and cold ****.. its tough to say because its all hot from that heater core being exposed but I want to say that it does NOT work, and the final **** with the max-ac-dash vents-floor vents-defrost vents options seems to work as far as I can hear the ac clutch kicking in when its set to AC and Max but its all hot air anyways

im going to rip up my dash and see if the connections at the ***** are to blame. i knew i was gonna hafta do this. car has been running great except for the sweltering heat in the passenger cabin lol

Attached Thumbnails My latest error-20150926_173814-1-.jpg   My latest error-20150926_173827-1-.jpg   My latest error-20150926_173847.jpg  

Last edited by ztwentyate; 09-26-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so I checked out the HVAC ***** and everything checks out there. I believe the problem is somewhere down under the passenger side dash. I added a picture and the area where Im pointing to.. when I have the AC on, it blows cold air.. but only there.

Attached Thumbnails My latest error-20150926_185653.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 07:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like something didnt get put back together right, are the air hoses all hooked up?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok so I checked out the HVAC ***** and everything checks out there. I believe the problem is somewhere down under the passenger side dash. I added a picture and the area where Im pointing to.. when I have the AC on, it blows cold air.. but only there.
Where is the evaporator case cover? You should not be able to see the evaporator core when the cover is installed.Did you remove it for the photo? It is shown sitting loose on the right floor in this photo. Note: it is very tricky to get back on tight without leaks, take your time and be patient.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Where is the evaporator case cover? You should not be able to see the evaporator core when the cover is installed.Did you remove it for the photo? It is shown sitting loose on the right floor in this photo. Note: it is very tricky to get back on tight without leaks, take your time and be patient.
Yeah I replaced the heater core and that how this problem all started. Do the vents not now properly with that cover off?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I replaced the heater core and that how this problem all started. Do the vents not now properly with that cover off?
They don't work at all with it off. That's the outlet from the evaporator and heater. The cover routes the air to the distribution box.

Quick Reply: My latest error