My Car is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Unhappy My Car is Dead

My car just died. I used it this morning like normal. Was about to leave a while ago and noticed my alarm wasn't deactivating, so I unlocked with the key and nothing, turned the key and nothing, zip, no lights nor sounds, not even the fuel pump activating. Now I'm stuck. I just got a new battery like a month ago, not sure if that could be it, I hope its something simple like that. I also replaced the distributor at the same time I got my battery. 94 Z28. Any ideas?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear member

It could be the alarm has malfunctioned. If you have a multimeter, you can measure your battery voltage, it should be at least 12 volts just sitting there in the car.

If it is low, then that is the first problem you need to correct.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could also be a bad alternator. Car can run fine then just die because the alternator isn't charging.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Overdrive Member

remove the battery and go get it charged if you dont have a charger yourself. After you get the battery charged go have your charging system checked. Autopart stores will usually do both for free. If your alternator is bad get a new one, if it is good then you have a drain on your system that needs to be tracked down.

Massey

Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

OK once my gf got home from work, I jump started the car and it worked. I was low on gas so I figured I'd take it to the gas station and to get the alternator running. On my way to the store, I noticed my sub woofer was not working, I remembered earlier today around noon, I was digging through the trunk looking for something moving stuff around. Yeah I have a bunch of cleaning crap in there. I noticed the amp speaker wire was kinda loose but I said, Ill fix it later because I didn't have time at the moment. Well, I think after digging some more, the wire came loose and for some reason I think that caused the battery to drain some how. Sounds crazy to me but it was after that time, about 8pm, the battery was dead. I connected the cable properly and everything seems normal, car turns on normal. I guess I have to wait till tomorrow. If it doesn't work, then I'm moving on to the alternator. Thanks for the replys guys.

P.S. I'm gonna organize all my crap. Damn those little convertible trunks.

Last edited by Sniper; 03-14-2011 at 06:09 PM.