Is my battery done for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was having the same problem with my blazer. Battery kept dying overnight. You could be looking at a short somewhere or your ignition switch could be going bad, that could cause the battery to constantly draw power to the ignition even when the key is off and out of the vehicle. If/when you get the battery charged and it still doesn't work, then you could be looking at a dead short some where in the wiring or a blown fusible link.

Have you checked your fuses for excess draw? If you haven't already then get a volt meter. They are well worth it when it comes to electrical diagnosis. Also, if the battery is bad and it was purchased in January then it should have some sort of warranty on it. If at all possible contact the p/o about getting the receipt if they still have it. You might still be able to replace it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a good battery can only be run down to 0 so many times. some batteries will let you abuse them and go through a dead charge several times and some will only last once and the next time its drained completely its ruined.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Check the wiring. May be some connection is getting a short circuit which gets the battery discharged. This is important as it will discharge another battery too.
Anyways, the pic is really nice of you. Your Camaro is looking awesome!!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I Like to Party

Thanks TheFundu, I have something to add, I tripped something in the wiring, in my steering column, about a month back, and I guess the security went off or something but the hazards came on, stayed on, and wouldn't go off (Car came without a hazard switch). I pulled the hazard canister from under the driver-side knee bolster and the hazards went off, and I guess since around then the electricals have been all weird. Could it still be drawing power even though I pulled out the hazard canister?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I Like to Party

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

dude just get a new battery lol

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I Like to Party

Im not just going to "Get a new battery dude" because if I DO have a short somewhere it's just going to drain the new battery too. I want to narrow the problem down before I go spending 100+ dollars on a new battery

Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

"This warranty lasts from the day you buy the battery to the end of the warranty period on your receipt. If the battery is found defective during the free replacement period on this receipt, bring the battery to any AutoZone store and you will receive a free replacement."

Bring it down there and have them pull you up on their computer and see if you still qualify, with it being bought only 10 months ago you should be fine for a new one. Your gonna wanna start troubleshooting with a new battery IF anything else is wrong. Its not uncommon to have a "bad battery" that only lasts a year or so

Last edited by NorthernCrew454; 11-07-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I Like to Party

The P/O got it from fricken walmart x_x Do they have warranties? I have to look through the receipts to find out

Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

in order to find the short your gona need a battery that will hold a charge. yes wal mart has a warrenty but im sure its got some loop holes in it for wal mart. yep a short in the columm would do it. gona have to look around in there and see whats up.

Quick Reply: Is my battery done for?