Misfire in a few cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Misfire in a few cylinders

I have a slight misfire in the 2500 rpm range. My android torque app shows 18 misfires current on cylinder 1, 5 on cylinder 3 and 5 on cylinder 5

Where do you think the Problem lies?
I'm thinking injectors possibly so I might switch them around to see if it moves to another cylinder.

Thanks

I have new plugs, wires and fuel filter.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

First you should check the spark with a spark tester on each of the cylinders. If you have bad spark you know the problem is before the plugs. Even if you have new plugs and wires. If you are getting good spark, then I would look in cleaning or replacing your injectors. If not, look at the coil packs.

What kind of gas do you run? It does make a difference were you get your gas. The injectors for a Chevy are smaller than a Ford. Where a Ford has a 8 mil injector, the Chevy is 5 mil. I think. Most gas is only filtered down to 6 mil. so injectors can get cloughed. The only stations that filter gas to 5 mil is Texico and Cheveron.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If it's in multiple cylinders, could the wires be swapped, attached to the wrong plugs?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
First you should check the spark with a spark tester on each of the cylinders. If you

have bad spark you know the problem is before the plugs. Even if you have new plugs and wires. If you are getting good spark, then I would look in cleaning or replacing your injectors. If not, look at the coil packs.

What kind of gas do you run? It does make a difference were you get your gas. The injectors for a Chevy are smaller than a Ford. Where a Ford has a 8 mil injector, the Chevy is 5 mil. I think. Most gas is only filtered down to 6 mil. so injectors can get cloughed. The only stations that filter gas to 5 mil is Texico and Cheveron.
I have a spark tester, ill try it again today on cylinder 1 to double check. I only buy chevron premium plus. Plugs are installed correctly, I spark tested previously, everything looked fine. Can I swap injectors to find the culprate?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have good spark then it's after the plug wires that's for sure.

Do you run a K&N air filter? If you do, I'm sure you've heard about the throttle body sensor issue. Have you tested or looked at that sensor to see if it's working O.K.. It's easier to look at the wires to see if there black inside the sensor then to swap out injectors.

My point is if you are running the right gas, I can't see how your injectors are fouled.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would swap coils first to see if the issue moves. It is easier to do and a much nore common issue. Most people run their plug wires to long and cause carbon tracking in the coil. It will spark test find until ther coil get hot.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just curious, are you using the Torque Pro app or something else, and which bluetooth adapter? How do you like the app? Haven't used one, I use my laptop, but using the phone might come in more handy.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
If you have good spark then it's after the plug wires that's for sure.

Do you run a K&N air filter? If you do, I'm sure you've heard about the throttle body sensor issue. Have you tested or looked at that sensor to see if it's working O.K.. It's easier to look at the wires to see if there black inside the sensor then to swap out injectors.

My point is if you are running the right gas, I can't see how your injectors are fouled.
I switched coils, plugs and wires with no difference before winter. No spark test yet. I bought the car last year and was sitting for a while, don't know what gas was used previously. I run a stock paper filter and spray cleaned the all the sensors with tb cleaner.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Just curious, are you using the Torque Pro app or something else, and which bluetooth adapter? How do you like the app? Haven't used one, I use my laptop, but using the phone might come in more handy.
The torque app is a must have with the $15 bluetooth ebay adapter lm301 or something. It has more options than most $300 scanners. Get it! So many cool things you can do with it.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OMG! Wish I could use the Torque app! My '95 is OBD1.5...

Quick Reply: Misfire in a few cylinders