Misfire cylinder 5! Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Misfire cylinder 5! Suggestions please

So after I installed my MSD wires and the weather got better I started driving midnight more. Problem is about a week ago she starts idling funny and not giving good power on the highway. Service engine light starts blinking (misfire)
I scan her and I'm getting random misfire code also at one point I got number 4 cylinder. So I get under the hood when I get a chance and see that my headers pretty much burned right through the 4 & 6 boots with a lil damage on 5 as well.
I ordered new plugs, wires, and some insulation sleeves for over the wire boots rated for up to 1200 degrees.
I installed all the new stuff yesterday and noticed the difference in idle and power.
Problem is when I got onto the highway to try and open her up I felt the misfire and saw the blinking engine light.
Once stopped I shutdown scanned saw misfire on 5 reset and tried again taking it a little easy. Little accelaration and same thing.
Two separate times and both give me the code for cylinder 5.

Is it possible that I just need to drive her more and clean her out or is it possible that I damaged a coilpack?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could be the coil pack. You can test it to find out. Just switch the coil pack with another coil pack and see if that cylinder misfires. If not then it could be a bad injector.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Overdrive Member

you can try changing the coil packs around but I am going to guess it is going to be a bad plug on #5. These coils shoot 2 cylinders at the same time and if you had missfires on #3 and #5 I would guess the coil but since this is one cyl only that leaves plugs and wires. (if it is the ignition causing the missfire)

Massey

Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear member

3800: thanks hopefully I will get a chance to try your idea in next few days. Will a bad injectors act ok with not too much gas but then fail when I get on it?

Massey: you think I could've gotten a bad plug out the box?
If not from ignition what else do you think it could be?

When I sit still and give it a lot of gas doesn't misfire only when I'm driving and seems fine in 1st even when I punch it but once I shift into second problem is noticeable when I really get on her. Also seems to hesitate when in second and car is not moving that fast and I go to get on gas. In the past I once or twice started from a stop in second.

Do you guys think it could have anything to do with computer and needing a tune or have I not done enough mods to have to worry about that yet?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya injectors get carbon build up on them so if it's been a long time since they've been cleaned they can clog. So I'm thinking you have one that is cloged. But it could also be your spark plug or wire. Run some fuel system cleaner through it and check the plug out.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Would sea foam be good to use or just a regular injector cleaner like STP or another brand?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Overdrive Member

or the injector cleaner use Lucas, get the 32oz bottle and use 6 oz or so for every fill up. If you dont notice a change after a bottle or two then a cleaner will not work.

Yes a plug can be bad out of the box. Not all part guys know that a dropped plug might as well be a bad plug. Some times those are thrown around durring freight handling.

Massey

Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

What Massey said. Sea foam would work but also run some Lucas cleaner through it aswell. Pull that spark plug and replace it with an old one. If it runs fine go pick up a new plug.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear member

3800 & Massey, thanks I'm going to try and check these things out today.
Hopefully I'll have some good news soon.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear member

So here's the update. I had half a bottle of sea foam dumped in the car and headed to practice. Car was running beautifully for about 20 mins. Then it started slightly misfiring when I got on it. After sitting for almost 3hrs while in practice I came out and no better. I stopped now pulled out my #5 and #3 plugs to compare. #5 is black compared to #3. I'm going to swap them and see if I start misfiring on #3, if so I'll pick up 2 new plugs to replace them. If I still get misfire on #5 I'll let you know and see what you think also going to pick up some Lucas.

Quick Reply: Misfire cylinder 5! Suggestions please