This may be a foolish question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Default This may be a foolish question...

But are you able to install z28 parts into a base 3.4 V6 model? Or is there no real reason to do that? I've been wondering for a while now but have been too embarrassed to ask.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear member

what parts? all suspension parts swap out.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Like Fbody said, what parts?

Again, like Fbody said, pretty much any thing suspension, body and interior related can be swapped out...though the suspension will really only have the main differences and those are the shocks/springs and anti-roll bars. Pretty sure the rest is the same between the two. Interior wise, some Zs had the 150 speedo but other than that, body and interior are the same.

Nothing from the drive train (engine, trans, etc) can be swapped out except the drive shaft and rear axle. The Zs had posi rears and later models had aluminum shafts instead of steel. They were also one piece instead of two piece shafts.

As to answer your question on whether there would be a reason too, the answer you will hear most often is no, there isn't. The 3.4 doesn't really have the power to put even their stock suspension pieces under strain that would require upgrades. However, it is your vehicle and you may do as you wish, and will still notice better handling with some Z parts (mostly the anti-roll bars).

Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Overdrive Member

Suspension on early 4th gens were similar but not the same in the front. The Z28 had bigger brakes and a different spindle to go along with the other things mentioned. Also the 98 + Z28s and 3.8 cars had the same front suspension with 2 piston floating calipers which were a big improvement over the earlier single piston ones. Yes these parts are compatible, no not all parts are tho.

Massey

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Thank you for being so informative guys! I really appreciate it, I'm just trying to learn everything I can about my car.

Now how's about the 3800 series engine? Are there parts from those that would be able to be swapped correctly? Or would it be the same kind of deal as the z28 with no engine components and just some underbody and interior items?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM
4th Gear Member

It would be the same deal with 3.8. Engine wise, most of the parts are not interchangeable with each other. Some can be with modification. For example, the LSx PCM can be used on the LTx, but it requires a lot of work and $$. Actually, that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that you can swap out.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear member

lt1 uses the same alternator and ac compressor I believe. exhaust form the cat back is an improvement over the v6's

Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
lt1 uses the same alternator and ac compressor I believe. exhaust form the cat back is an improvement over the v6's
I'm actually Catless right now so that may be something I will look into for the future. Thanks man!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

If a question is worth asking I dont think it is a foolish question

Quick Reply: This may be a foolish question...