Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Manual Locks (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/manual-locks-82854/)

turtle_patch 07-25-2018 01:08 PM

Manual Locks

Question concerning my 2002 Camaro with Manual Door Locks. Since the vehicle automatically locks and unlocks the doors on start and stop of the vehicle, is there any way to "easily" add Power locks to the car? It seems like all of the "mechanics" are already there.
Thanks

craby 07-25-2018 08:33 PM

have you gotten the door panel off to see what wiring is there. might get lucky.

peterpar 07-25-2018 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle_patch (Post 727784)
Question concerning my 2002 Camaro with Manual Door Locks. Since the vehicle automatically locks and unlocks the doors on start and stop of the vehicle, is there any way to "easily" add Power locks to the car? It seems like all of the "mechanics" are already there.
Thanks

I own a 2002 Camaro with door locks and my vehicle does not automatically lock and unlock the doors upon starting or stopping. The owners manual or service manual does not give any information on this type of system. To make a system like this work, you would basically have to have all the lock solenoids, controls and wiring used for the electric door locks. The mechanical locks should be operated only by linkage rods attached to the door key cylinder and interior lock rod knob.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the service parts label on the driver door. This would give how the car was equipped and maybe give some insight to what you're describing.

craby 07-26-2018 12:55 AM

my 2000 does the same thing. locks by itself. i got the lock switches on the doors though.

peterpar 07-26-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 727800)
my 2000 does the same thing. locks by itself. i got the lock switches on the doors though.

Really, I'm not aware of any of my 4th generation Camaros doing this. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I get one out. According to the 2000 Chevrolet Product Guide, power door locks were optional on the coupes and standard on the convertibles. They were also offered in the Preferred Equipment Group packages 1SB and 1SD for coupes and 1SA and 1SB for convertibles.

craby 07-26-2018 12:45 PM

i do wonder if its part of a aftermarket alarm/security system. i have a box and wiring that may or may not be stock or could be dealer installed under the dash by the column.

craby 07-26-2018 12:58 PM

i think its also tied into the seats, it wont lock doors when i am not in the seat. mine does have the remote lock au0 and of course au3

Camaro 69 08-04-2018 09:50 AM

Ehh, if your doors are locking automatically (electrically), then you have power door locks. I wonder if a previous owner may have replaced the original door panels with ones from a non-power car.

MKCoconuts 08-05-2018 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 727959)
Ehh, if your doors are locking automatically (electrically), then you have power door locks. I wonder if a previous owner may have replaced the original door panels with ones from a non-power car.

That's what I was thinking too. You can't have manual locks that lock themselves or else they wouldn't be manual locks! When you guys says every "start and stop" you are meaning every time the car is put into and out of park, right? Not every time the car starts to move and comes to a stop? Cause that would just be silly and really annoying.

craby 08-06-2018 06:23 PM

yes when you turn the key on and start. ill have to pay attention, pretty sure they unlock when it goes into park.