LT1 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: LT1 vs LS1

ORIGINAL: Imperium

I personally do care to read the debate, I've been wanting to do upgrades to my 94 z28 but my brother says I should sell it and get a newer one with the LS1, and I actually came to this forum today hoping to read about the differences
There are a ton of differences, and the most common answer you're going to get is "The LS1 is better." Not much of a help, eh?

Old 08-25-2007, 02:44 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: RatedZ

I personally do care to read the debate, I've been wanting to do upgrades to my 94 z28 but my brother says I should sell it and get a newer one with the LS1, and I actually came to this forum today hoping to read about the differences
There are a ton of differences, and the most common answer you're going to get is "The LS1 is better." Not much of a help, eh?
no doubt but know one can seem to give me a good answer other then......

Its aluminum
Better heads
and It's newer

(yea I didnt mention it's got more power stock but meh)

Old 08-25-2007, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redneck97

ORIGINAL: RatedZ

no doubt but know one can seem to give me a good answer other then......

Its aluminum
Better heads
and It's newer

(yea I didnt mention it's got more power stock but meh)
Since WHEN is aluminum a stronger material than iron?

Since WHEN does "newer" equal "better?"Areyou familiar withthe saying, "They don't build'em like they used to?"

Old 08-25-2007, 08:54 AM
4th Gear Member

I am not saying the LS1 is better (well I am, but I am not saying the LT1 suck), but it does take to mods a good bit better than an LT1 and the managment system is way better on the LS1. I have owned and modded both and I'd put my money into the LS1 anyday, there is a better bang for your buck.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I am not saying the LS1 is better (well I am, but I am not saying the LT1 suck), but it does take to mods a good bit better than an LT1 and the managment system is way better on the LS1. I have owned and modded both and I'd put my money into the LS1 anyday, there is a better bang for your buck.
I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the LS1 responds better to mods. Sure, with bolt-ons the LS1 is going to respond better. Look how much better the heads flow. The power's in the LS1's heads.

LT1 heads are worthless. Even when machined and modified, LT1 heads still only flow slightly better than LT4 heads, at best. LT1 heads do what they were to designed to do; be just adequate on a stock or lightly modified engine.

If I plan to do a car with just a few bolt-ons and be happy, I'd go with the LS1, but with an all-out build, it's anybody's ballgame. It's going to come down to whoever has the deepest pockets.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Overdrive Member

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr.../gmhead/gmlt1/
There's a link to a set of worked over LT1 heads that flow better than a stock Z06(LS6 flows 256 at .550) head at .550 lift. The LT1 heads flow better than the GM Bowtie heads that were made for racing purposes, aside from the LT4 they are the best flowing stock head to ever come out of a GM plant(on a traditional SBC of course).

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

The LS1 is a better motor for many reasons, longer rods, less weight, cross bolted main caps, better heads, as far as the part of it not making the same power as an LT1 down low the LS1 stock makes peak torque about 4,000 rpm, while the LT1 makes it around 3k. So if you want more low end power put in a small cam, but last time I checked when I ran the car I wasn't down around 3k rpm after I shifted, and first gear only last so long. I would take the LS1 over the LT1 any day.