LT1 vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Default LT1 vs. LS1

What does it take to make an lt1 to keep up with an ls1?
I dont know that much about camaros but I wanna learn more about them.

Yes I drive a rustang

Old 04-03-2007, 04:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: LT1 vs. LS1

Don't take this to heart because I'm not an expert either, I'm just getting ready to pick up a new Camaro myself. Two of my friends were arguing about this (both own 4th Gen Camaros or T/A's) and finally agreed on this. They felt that the LT1 will keep up relatively well with the LS1 in the 1/4 mile, just lagging behind a little. Supposedly the LS1 really shines in the top end compared to the LT1. I had a buddy that had a LT1 Trans Am with LS1 heades, some headers, and I think some intake and injector work and he was nipping at the heels of some SS's and WS6's on more than one occasion. Hope that helped somewhat.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Conundrum

Don't take this to heart because I'm not an expert either, I'm just getting ready to pick up a new Camaro myself. Two of my friends were arguing about this (both own 4th Gen Camaros or T/A's) and finally agreed on this. They felt that the LT1 will keep up relatively well with the LS1 in the 1/4 mile, just lagging behind a little. Supposedly the LS1 really shines in the top end compared to the LT1. I had a buddy that had a LT1 Trans Am with LS1 heades, some headers, and I think some intake and injector work and he was nipping at the heels of some SS's and WS6's on more than one occasion. Hope that helped somewhat.
To set a few things straight. Your friend must have meant he has LT4 heads on his LT1, it is impossible to put an LS1 head on an LT1, the bolt holes, water passages, intake ports and bore spacing will not line up. Generally an LS1 is about a second faster in the 1/4, that translates into roughly 8-10 car lengths, not exactly keeping up IMO. LT1's are good engines and respond well to mods, but the LS1 is simply a newer, more advanced design and will make more power mod for mod.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

What would it take for an LT1 to keep up? I have a LT1 with Edelbrock heads and cam, cat back, cold air kit and all the other goodies and I went against a 98-2000 Camaro SS and it seemed like it was over before it started. We were at about 70mph on the freeway and he had me from the start. I fugured I'd give him a good run but that was not to be. I was impressed by the power he had. Not sure if he had any mods. (i hope he did!)

Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

As said above the LS1 will destroy a LT1 in every field going stock for stock. With runners list of mods he should be right about on or a near stock LS1 in the quarter some where in the low 13s. However on the highway the LS1 is going to have a large advantage in the higher RPM range where the LT1 will start dropping off in top end the LS1 keeps pulling. I expect with your mods RUNNER you should be in the Mid 13 correct very close to stock LS1 times.

Now none of you LT1 guys take offense you know i love the LT1's too .
Name:  lt1gay.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  17.7 KB

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

the ls1 is a superior motor but the lt1 has alot of potential. ive gone real low 13s on a bolt on lt1 with street tires. if you want a 12s street car then the lt1 is a good engine just takes a bit more to get it there. most ppl prefer the ls1 or switch to the ls1 wen buildin a racecar ive decided to stick wit the lt1 cuz i feel i can get my goal easily with a lt1 stroker motor (9.90s). but after that satisfies me ill be savin for an ls motor since i just watched a cam only ls1 go 10.76 which is very impressive.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

obviously the ls1 is a better motor overall...its newer and has more advanced design...but you can make both of them run ridiculously well. and i'd think runner SHOULD be faster than mid 13's with a head and cam package...but i've heard edelbrock isn't the best choice. no offense runner, you know you're my lt1 buddy

Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

When talking about a head/cam package there is a lot to take into consideration. There can be huge difference in power and times depending on the set up. If he was going all out with "go big or go home" he might be a little faster. But with his mods and say a mild to light street cam he should be some where in the mid 13s. Tires, gears, and a good clutch/stall would put him in the 12s with his mods no problem with room to spare.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear member

This thread is from 07....Just saying... :P

I guess I'll throw my .02 in anyway; it'll add to my post count.

Edelbrock is definitely not the best you can get.

To get an lt1 to stick with an ls1: full bolt-ons (LT back, CAI, gears (if you consider them a bolt-on)), stall/clutch, sticky tires, tune, weight loss, and a real good driver mod. This'll keep you with him until the quarter.

To be sure you're gonna beat him, add a cam into the mix and you've got a stock ls1 beater. :P

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

<<<mid 13's without heads or a cam...