LT1 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default LT1 opinions

Hey everyone, Ive been gone a long time now. Been really busy, the RS is almost complete on its way to being a show car. Ive made a pretty big break in my area, so I have been really busy.
Now, the RS is my show car, always will be my main car, is here to stay and not going anywhere.

BUT, I am getting as some people say, my race car. And what everyone has been waiting for, me to finally step up from the I4, the V6, and get a V8.

I still do not have much money though. Maybe $2k give or take. Not to mention, I like the body style of my RS (93-97) the best anyhow. LT1's in my area go anywhere from $1500-$3500.
I already know the obvious, replace the distributor with an MSD while buying the car. Might as well through on new wires and plugs while Im at it.
I have also heard that the cooling system is a pain in the neck (which Im used to dealing with thanks to the 3.4l) and that the cylinder walls are weak and prone to cracking.

But I have also heard the reverse just as I have about the 3.4l. That they are durable, one of the strongest engines, seen them up to 220k, etc.

I know a lot has to do with how well its taken care of, and Im pretty well able to read the life of a car when I go to check it out. So Im not going to get something terribly beat on.

My question is, what are your opinions, ideas, facts, on the LT1 as an engine.
I know the ls1 is better, but its stronger than I want it to be and frankly out of my price range.
I am mainly concerned about durability, constant problems, things like that. What are some popular problems and weaknesses, what are some strengths.
Any judgement to the myths?

Ive only been an I4 and V6 guy until now. Looking into my first ever V8, so I dont know much about the LT1. Just need some insight before getting my first so I know what to expect.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9434V6
I have also heard that the cooling system is a pain in the neck (which Im used to dealing with thanks to the 3.4l) and that the cylinder walls are weak and prone to cracking.
I've never heard that. I think people think the cooling system is a pain because you have to use LT1 specific head gaskets, heads, and block. None of that is interchangeable with the regular 350 small block because of the reverse cooling. Don't forget to change the water pump when you do the opti.

But that's really the only downfall (if it could be considered that). The reverse cooling, though, has its benefits of allowing us to run high compression (12:1, even higher with proper tuning) while still being able to run on 93 octane and not have to worry about detonation.

I'd look for a 96 or 97 model if you can. OBD 2 is just easier any more and if you ever decided to do the LS PCM swap, it makes things a little easier. 93 isn't bad either...but it's a one off year using speed density instead of a MAF.

As far as durability, I just rolled 124k on mine and she stills runs like a champ and holds 60 lbs of pressure and fires right up (at least when the opti isn't going out).

Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Did they use really crappy water pumps or something? Thin fans that get chewed up easily?
I had the water pump apart on my 3.4l and its thick as hell, like you couldnt chip it if you wanted to.
I know the 95 came with the vented opti, but the 94 is what is down the street from me. Will changing to an MSD be perfectly fine, or are there different opti's for different years even through MSD? Well, Ii guess I could research that actually. If they did make different ones, I was just wondering if I could put a vented on a non-vented model.
Unfortunately, 93-94 is all that seems to populate this area. I wanted a 95.
Also on my travels of research into this engine, everyone says to just keep the obd1, or to replace the obd2 with an ls1 bit because apparently everyone is complaining that the lt1 obd2 is horrible. obd2 is supposed to be easier to tune, but ive seen people having problems where the computer wasnt taking it without a swap.
Again, that might be something to do with who actually knows what they are doing to. Im just bringing up everything I have found to clear the air.
If I can find a later model year, Ill go for it. But right now the lt1 up the street is a 94 with 137k miles, 4 speed auto (apparently 6m does not exist anywhere around here, ive looked for days) completely stock mechanically, brand new candy apple red paint, $1500 and the guy will let me make payments so I can get it sooner.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I put an MSD opti on my 92 LT1. It's vented, it comes that way as an upgrade. If going with a stock style replacement, you have to get the style for the correct fitment years range, as the drive mechanism is totally different between the two. You can however modify a non-vented opti to be a vented one, like this: Opti-Spark Options

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It soulds like you are just trying to avoid headaches. On a car that is approching 20 years old how it has been maintained is WAY more a factor then the original design. Even the biggest pile of crap design wise can be a good dependable car if the owner knows the weakensses and maintaines it correctly. In turn the best designed car can be a total pc of crap and not worth fixing if it has just been driven till it will not run over and over again.

Put your effort into finding a car that has been garaged kept and well maintained. For us budget minded guys you find one of these cars that has ONE major thing wrong. Like it needs a transmission or and engine knock. Fixing one large thing is way easier then trying to undo 15 years of neglect.

I can not tell you how many junk cars I looked at before I bought my 96. They where just all worn out. They where going to be constant problem. I found a Garage kept dealer maintain 3800 with a knock in the motor. I put about $1500 into it including the used motor. That was 4 years and 75,000 ago. It is without a doubt the cheaps car per miles I have ever owned.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9434V6
Did they use really crappy water pumps or something? Thin fans that get chewed up easily?
Water pumps weren't weak. Just usually when the opti is about to go you change the water pump because it usually isn't too far behind. And if the pump gives out then that new opti you just bought gets destroyed. The only time I wouldn't replace the pump when replacing the opti is if the pump was newer. Other than that, it's just easier to do since you have to take the pump off to replace the opti any ways.

The only reason I'd go OBD2 off the bat is if you planned on doing the LS pcm conversion down the road. It's easier because you already have the timing cover with the crank sensor hole and those covers are kinda hard to find and expensive. But you really only need to do that swap if you want or need the tuning capabilities of the LS pcm.

MSD only has two options, one's for the early style (92-94) and one for the later style (95-97) but like 69 said I think they both come vented.

If you really want a M6, I know where there's one for sale that's a 95 up near me for 3k...but after seeing how far you are away..I don't think you'd want to make the 4 1/2 hour trip. Haha

Gorn made a good point though. I'd try and find one that was maintained really well and spend the few extra bucks for it. But then again, you did say you were looking at making it race car, so depending on how extreme you were going to go with that, one that needs work might suit you better.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear member

I will be checking out any LT1 very extensively to make sure it hasn't been totally raped.
I do plan on building it up though, I just need it to last for a little bit until I gather everything.
Plans are, I'm buying an updated rebuild kit for the engine regardless and having it cleaned up while its apart. Opti and water pump obviously, haha.
Then, I would like to find an m6 transmission, Ecu and harness so I'm not stuck with the auto.
After that, and yes this means I'm basically keeping it stock, I'm going to work on all suspension and handling aspects.
So basically I'm going to make it so the car is new one way or another, I would like it to just make it until I have everything.
I will have my 3.4l as a back up, but oddly enough, the gas mileage is actually worse in that thing. Lol.
So the point of asking is so I know what to replace that wouldn't come in a master rebuild kit and a cam and head upgrade. Also, making sure everything I put into it isn't a waste.

Thank you for all the replies so far guys! I appreciate the insight!
And honestly, MK, if you could grab me a couple specs or send the for sale as or something my way, I have no problem with a little travel. So long as it isn't across the country and it isn't some mass amount of money.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 PM
4th Gear Member

I'll talk to my buddy next time I'm by his house. I believe he still has it for sale....actually come to think of it, there's a nice LS1 around here too going for 3.5k but it's an auto.