lt1 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default lt1 misfire

so i have a really annoying misfire in my 97 t/a lt1, its not opti its been replaced..but i do have an egr code throwing, and the misfire is only in low rpms, it doesnt do it under WOT, so could it be the egr?? if so how can i remove it and plug it off, cause i want it off anyway???

Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

scann it for trouble codes. could be any number of things. whens the last time the plugs and or plug wires were changed?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Careful with that EGR, you will need to do it correctly or the PCM will adjust the timing and you will get detonation problems. I removed mine and had the PCM reprogrammed for its removal. Disconnecting the electrcal plug will let the PCM know its not working and not adj the timing, but you will always have a SES telling you so. It is hard to remove it in the car but do-able, I used a piece of 1/4 aluminun plate to cover mine with a homemade gasket. I removed the tube and welded it close, but you can cut it and pinch and fold it if you can reach it with vicegrips or cap it with a plate and heat resistant gasket. The EGR does not work at WOT. Here is a little about what it does if you dont already know, http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm

My 1987 Ford truck had a very annoying misfire and it was the EGR, lean missfire, is what its called, ran fine a WOT or under a load, but going down the road normally, it miss fired constantly. Unplugged the electrical wires and removed it and it ran perfect after that ! Got that Check Engine light until it burned out. LOL

I also removed the CAT and put on a magnaflow muffler, sounds pretty good without headers !!

craby is right too, check plugs and wires !

Last edited by CNCman; 07-10-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

yeah i know it doesnt work under WOT thats why i thought it could be the problem and the plugs and wires were changed when i put my headers and off road y on about a year ago and thats when the misfire started and i had the egr code along with it, and i have a place to tune all of the codes out and stuff so thats not a problem (o2's egr etc...) i didnt have my car for the past year either i sold it and then just bought it back 3 months ago, and its still the same problem and i think guy changed the plugs and wires as well when he had it but im not sure

Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I would get the EGR tuned out in the PCM and remove all the EGR parts. Make sure everything is capped off too with no leaks on the intake. Then this will not be the problem anymore. Guessing the headers have an EGR tube and it will need capped also or removed. That missfire can cause the head gasket to blow, espscially if its backfireing, thats what screwed up my engine and had to have it rebuilt. We were ignorant of the timing issue in the PCM and only removed the EGR and left the electrical part connected. Sounds like your on the right track, good luck.

Note: Of course the other option is to just replace the EGR with a new one. You will get a little more HP without it, and you will need to keep an eye on the temp because it may run a little hotter without it. If it does flush the cooling system and put a cooling additive in to compensate. Mine has been out about a year and 12000 mi with no problems.

Last edited by CNCman; 07-11-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 AM
4th Gear Member

piece of cake

you can get egr block off plates at Summit, Jegs and even Ebay

you will need to get it tuned out.

The block off is easy too

the tube that goes from the headers to the intake manifold does not need to be removed. You simply diconnect the tube from the rear of the intake manifold, put the block off plate there, and reconnect the tube. Now you will hear people tell you that won't work, then I invite them to go under my hood as it's been that way for about 9 months.

Next, remove the egr solenoid and vacuum tube. You put the blockoff plate on the back of the intake manifold there and then plug the vacuum line. If you forgot the vacuum plugs then a golf tee works temporarily (or permanently if you want)

tune it out, and you're done.

When my egr went it was more an issue at idle. Once I yanked it, the problem went away. As for the miss, seriously, pull the plugs and make sure none are cracked, discolored or wires burnt/melted

Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks ! you can explain it better the I can !

Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

well thanks guys that helped me a lot, imma gonna try that and pray the miss goes away